Deep Dish Nine
|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||Human AU, Mundane AU|
|See Also:||Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Modern AU|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Deep Dish Nine is a trope specific to the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine fandom. Deep Dish Nine is a semi-collaborative alternate universe where the characters of Deep Space Nine are all humans in a 21st century pizza parlor, instead of a multi-species cast in the 24th century. Some elements of the Deep Dish Nine universe are almost universally agreed upon (for example, that Captain Benjamin Sisko is the owner of the pizza parlor), while others vary from fan to fan.
The trope originated on tumblr as part of the second wave of fandom from after the series aired. The tumblr blogs Deep Dish 9 and Deep Dish Nine Archive contain most of the content for this trope. The origin appears to be a tumblr post by LadyYateXel where she posted screencaps of DS9 characters with the caption, "They all look like pizza delivery people. And I love them so much."
Deep Dish Nine has developed its own fanon to incorporate the themes of the series into a wildly different setting. Although the setting is 21st century Earth, some fan writers choose to reinterpret the political boundaries so that Bajor and Cardassia are countries on Earth instead of different planets. Others choose to write the various species as ethnic groups or members of rival organizations. The Dominion is often reinterpreted as a rival restaurant. Some fans like to incorporate in elements of other Star Trek series - sometimes Kathryn Janeway owns a coffee shop or Picard and Q cross paths.
- Rewiring series by LadyYateXel and tinsnip -- A Garak/Bashir focused take on the canon episode The Wire
- Complementing Baggage by kittyknowsthings -- A spinoff of the Rewiring series
- Deep Dish Nine (Vyc Version) by Vyc - A mix of gen and Garak/Bashir stories
- Me and My Ghosts by tinsnip - Gen, Quark & Jadzia Dax go on a road trip.
- Working Overtime by Codydarkstalker -- Garak/Bashir, one of the longer works for the trope
- Hello Again by tinsnip - Kira Nerys and Odo meet up after a long time apart.
- Some Deep Dish Nine (about five years after the fact, but I still love it ❤️🍕), Archived version by natashampa on tumblr
- "alexander rozhenko, ladies and gents, posterboy for daddy issues. oooohh sweet child o’ mine", Archived version by kingofthegarbage
- "I finally colored this animated Deep Dish Nine G/B kiss I made almost a year ago!", Archived version by Lady Yate-xel
- Deep Dish NIne Julian strikes gold on the ’Date Ideas For The Poor Student Seeing Clever Probable Ex-Spy’ front., Archived version, a fancomic by Lady Yate-xel
- Deep Dish Nine, Archived version by chrisfenton -- A custom game for Arduboy
- Deep Space Nine Is A Pizza Shop?, a fanvid by shippersguide on tumblr
Additional Image Gallery
Archives & Fannish Links
- Works tagged Deep Dish Nine on AO3
- Content search for Deep Dish Nine on tumblr
- Tumblr blogs: Deep Dish 9, Deep Dish Nine Archive, and Deep Dish Nine Sims
- Deep Dish Nine (Fanfic) on TV Tropes