|Date(s):||2007 - 2010|
|URL:||dark_flowers at LiveJournal; archive link|
dark_flowers at InsaneJournal
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Dark Flowers is a Harry Potter challenge community that is dedicated to Severus/Remus/Lily and combinations thereof. Severus/Remus, Severus/Lily, and Remus/Lily fanworks are all accepted in addition to the threesome ship, though stories must feature all three characters.
Fanworks containing Severus/Remus/Lily, Severus/Remus, Severus/Lily, and Remus/Lily are all allowed, but Severus, Remus, and Lily must all be main characters in the work. Lily especially must be "heavily featured" in Severus/Remus works.
R- and NC-17-rated works are accepted but must be placed behind a cut, and warnings are required for themes such as kinks, violence, and "other adult situations." There are no content restrictions other than those related to shipping. A header is provided for art and fic, and flames "of any kind" are not allowed.
In June, 2007, Dark Flowers announced that in anticipation for the release of Deathly Hallows and prevent fans from unwillingly being exposed to spoilers, community membership would be moderated, IP logging would be turned on for anonymous posts, and community members must adhere to a strict spoiler policy or else be banned. The spoiler policy stated that all spoilers were prohibited until September 30th unless "put it behind an cut tag and clearly marked [with] a spoiler warning." Additionally, stories, art, icons, and moodthemes containing spoilers or based on spoilers were also prohibited.
In late January, the community moderators began posting challenge prompts, which were initially intended to be posted weekly. In March, it was changed to monthly prompts, which petered out following the release of Deathly Hallows in July. The prompts were as follows:
- Week of January 22 - "Red"
- Week of January 30 - "Friendship"
- Week of February 12 - "Valentines"
- Week of February 19 - "Heartache"
- March - "Jealousy"
- April - "April Shower"
- May - Quote: "True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new." (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
- June - "School's Out"
- July/August - "Snape and Lily's relationship (platonic or not)"
2008 Mini Holiday Exchange
After several months without challenges, the Dark Flowers moderator posted a poll to gauge interest in a "mini exchange". Favorable responses lead to Dark Flowers's first gift exchange, the Holiday Flowers Exchange, which focused on the Severus/Remus/Lily threesome.
Holiday Flower Exchange is a "secret santa" exchange. You sign up, get assigned a partner and draw/write a nice little gift for them and someone does the same for you! It's a win/win situation.
The focus of this exchange is Lily/Remus/Severus! All gifts will be Snupily focused so, how can anyone be unhappy? I know I'm thrilled, *ponders ones greediness* If you sign up and turn in your assignment you will recieve [sic] something in return. If you don't turn in your assignment....your name will be posted on the list of shame and you can't play next year.
- September 28, 2008: Sign-ups opened.
- October 6, 2008: Sign-ups closed.
- October 11, 2008: Assignments sent out.
- November 15, 2008: All assignments due.
- December 19 - 25, 2008: Posting (one per day, two on December 25).
- December 28, 2008: Reveals; masterlist posted.
- Observation by zephre (for drusillas_rain; NC-17, NWS)
- Tangled Embrace by rosivan (for lore; G)
- Out for a Walk by karasu_hime (for blpaintchart; R, slightly NWS)
- Resuscitating by lore (for zephre; PG)
- Teenager in Love by drusillas_rain (for karasu_hime; PG)
- Sev & Lily: The Pilot Episode by blpaintchart (for dizilla; PG-13)
- Chance Encounters by dizilla (for rosivan; PG-13)
2009 September Mini Exchange
In August, 2009, a poll was again created to gauge interest in an exchange. The September Flower Exchange was announced on September 2nd, following the same pattern as the 2008 Holiday Flowers Exchange.
- September 2, 2009: Sign-ups opened.
- September 9, 2009: Sign-ups closed.
- September 11, 2009: Assignments sent out.
- September 23, 2009: All assignments due.
- October 1 - 15, 2009: Posting (one per day).
- October 19, 2009: Reveals; masterlist posted.
- Keeping Her Boys in Line by zephre (for rossana; NC-17)
- art by karasu_hime for In the Privacy of Pumpkins (for tetsubinatu; NC-17)
- Across the River Leth by rossana (for drusillas_rain; PG-13)
- Because He Loved Her by cyytwrote (for zephre; G)
- Only Human by hamimifk (for Serpenscript; NC-17)
- In which Lily considers that James is a dick, but other boys have them too. by drusillas_rain (for lore; NC-17)
- Good intentions and christmas cards by tetsubinatu (for cyyt; G)
- Fulfilled Longing by lore (for hamimifk; NC-17)
- Matchmaker's Reward by serpenscript (for karasu_hime; PG-13)
- In the Privacy of Pumpkins by lore (for tetsubinatu; NC-17)
2010 Valentines Mini Exchange
The 2010 Valentines Mini Exchange was announced in late January, 2010. It followed the same pattern as the two prior challenges.
- January 21, 2010: Sign-ups opened.
- January 24, 2010: Sign-ups closed.
- January 25, 2010: Assignments sent out.
- February 7, 2010: All assignments due.
- February 9 - 20, 2010: Posting (one per day).
- March 6, 2010: Reveals; masterlist posted.
- Winter Wonderland by isalie964 (for karasu_hime; G)
- Definately by karasu_hime (for lore; NWS)
- The Benefits of Exploring by zephre (for kittylefish; PG-13)
- Snake in the Grass (fic and art) by lainenyah (for lulabelle72; hard R)
- Stars That I Can Touch and Call My Own by hamimifk (for isalie964; R)
- Only For You by kittylefish (for lainenyah; Mature)
- In Practice There Is Perfection by lore (for nimrod_9; PG)
- Scenes From A Duel by lulabelle72 (for savepureness; PG-13)
- Wrapped in White Paper and Red Hearts by nimrod_9 (for zephre; Hard R)
- Come by savepurenesswrote (for sc010f; R)
- Wake by sc010f (for hamimifk; NC-17)
- Snake in the Grass (fic and art) by lainenyah (for lulabelle72; Art-NWS)
2010 Fall Mini Exchange
The second exchange of 2010, the Fall Mini Exchange, was announced in August. It was similar to the previous exchanges but imposed a new rule of a 1000-word maximum on fanfiction and asked for "less-polished art":
Autumn and a host of Christmas exchanges are just around the corner. Come join our mini-fest to fire up the muses and work out your jitters. 1000 word limit and less-polished art are all we ask. Interested? Then come join the Snape, Lupin, Lily Fall Mini Exchange!
- August 08, 2010: Sign-ups opened.
- August 14, 2010: Sign-ups closed.
- August 15, 2010: Assignments sent out.
- September 13, 2010: All assignments due.
- September 27 - 30, 2010: Posting (one per day).
- November 8, 2010: Reveals; masterlist posted.
- By Your Side by blue_cage (for cathedralcarver; G)
- Under the Stars by karasu_hime (for kittylefish; G)
- Here Is the Deepest Secret Nobody Knows by cathedralcarver (for karasu_hime; T)
- Unconventional by kittylefish (for blue_cage; G)
- Dark Flowers. Profile on LiveJournal. (Accessed 12 April 2012.)
- karasu_hime. For Your Protection:. 21 June 2007. (Accessed 12 April 2012.)
- darkflowersmod. Query to the Members. 16 August 2008. (Accessed 12 April 2012.)
- karasu_hime. Mini Fest Pimpage. 12 September 2008. (Accessed 12 April 2012.)
- darkflowersmod. Sign Ups now open!. 27 September 2008. (Accessed 13 April 2012.)
- darkflowersmod. Masterlist for Mini Holiday Exchange. 28 December 2008.
- darkflowersmod. The September Mini Exchange Sign Up Post. 02 September 2009. (Accessed 13 April 2012.)
- darkflowersmod. Mini Exchange Reveal. 19 October 2009. (Accessed 14 April 2012.)
- darkflowersmod. Valentines Exchange Sign Up Post. 21 January 2010. (Accessed 13 April 2012.)
- darkflowersmod. Valentines Master List. 06 March 2010. (Accessed 13 April 2012.)
- darkflowersmod. Fall Mini Exchange. 08 August 2010. (Accessed 13 April 2012.)
- darkflowersmod. Dark Flowers Fall Mini Exchange SIGN UP POST. 08 August 2010. (Accessed 13 April 2012.)
- darkflowersmod. Fall Mini Fest Reveals! 08 November 2010. (Accessed 13 April 2012.)