|Status:||pure-blood or half-blood; alive|
|Relationships:||dated Cedric Diggory, Harry Potter, and Michael Corner; married an unnamed Muggle|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Cho was first introduced as a member of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team and Harry's first crush. In Goblet of Fire, she began a relationship with Cedric Diggory, who was murdered at the end of the year. In the subsequent book, she was clearly grieving for Cedric, but began to date Harry Potter. This drew criticism from many fans, as did the fact that Cho defended her friend Marietta after Marietta betrayed the D.A.
Cho was redeemed to many fans in the seventh book, when she returned to fight against Lord Voldemort in the Battle of Hogwarts.
- Fuck Yeah, Controversial Characters!, Archived version
- harry potter confessions., Archived version
- Response to "Have I ever mentioned that I fucking hate Cho Chang?". (sydneyalfredo & miakosamuio on Tumblr, June 2012.)](offline, no archive link)
Cho is notable for being one of the only Asian characters in the Harry Potter series, and many fans identified with or idolized her, though some were disappointed with her characterization in the fifth book:
- So I'm Asian, and I read a lot of books as a kid--a lot of fantasy books, in particular. None of them ever had any Asians in the story... unless you count the evil guys of strangely narrow-eyed-ethnicity. But then came Cho Chang. She was pretty and smart and athletic and HOLY CRAP HARRY POTTER EVEN HAD A CRUSH ON HER OMGOMG!!!!!!! Cho had all the potential to be every Asian girl's hero...
- ...but then she was lame. So thanks Rowling. Thanks for making the only Asian girl in books a weak crybaby and giving Harry to Ginny instead.
Some also felt that Cho's name and the fact that she is in Ravenclaw (the "clever person" House) was propagating Asian stereotypes.
"To JK Rowling, from Cho Chang"
Discussions about Cho's ethnicity and role in the books were revived in April 2013 in response to a spoken-word poem called To JK Rowling, from Cho Chang, recorded at the finals of the CUPSI poetry competition.
Response to the poem: In Which I Talk About Why The Cho Chang Video Is Wrong / My two cents / My opinion / I’m really uncomfortable with the discussion going on / ...
In fanworks, Cho is most often shipped with characters who she dated canonically, especially Harry and Cedric. She is also a fairly popular femslash character and is commonly paired with variety of female character. Popular pairings include:
- Where My Thought's Escaping by snorkfics
Essays & Meta
- FF: Evil!Cho: Cho Chang and Reader Response - Overanalyzing the Text by Elkins, Archived version (2003)
- Harry and Cho in OotP - Harry Potter Essays by [http://eilanhp.livejournal.com/ eilanhp], Archived version (2003)
- Anti-Harry/Cho: I blame Cho by [http://nesshelper.livejournal.com/ nesshelper], Archived version (2003)
- The Problem with Cho Chang, and Why I Love Her by bantha_fodder], Archived version (2005)
- Character analysis: Cho Chang, in Harry Potter by Gail Kavanagh], Archived version (2010)
- 1001 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Hate Cho Chang (and a few reasons why you should love her), (2011)
- hapakitsune did a fanworks series, notably meta, on Cho for womenlovefest in 2011 (image links are largely defunct, but text is still there)
- works tagged Cho Chang on AO3
- Special Edition: Cho Chang at the Daily Snitch
- _x_cho_chang_x_, a Cho Chang fan community
- Cho Chang Fic Listing, a Cho FanFiction.net community
- charry_haven, a Harry/Cho LiveJournal community
- quiet_charm, a Cedric/Cho LiveJournal community
- Heart Seekers, a Harry/Cho FF.net community
- Reason Lost: DMCC, a Draco/Cho FF.net community
- Harry Potter Wiki at Wikia. Cho Chang's partner. (Accessed 07 December 2011.)
- So Vain - - - Cho Chang Hatelisting. (Archived 01 November 2007 by the Wayback Machine.)
- ereya on deviantArt. Cho Chang (description). 27 May 2011. (Accessed 07 December 2011.)
- The Leaky Cauldron's LeakyLounge. Cho Chang's ethnicity. 15 September 2006. (Accessed 08 December 2011.)
- "Character analysis: Cho Chang, in Harry Potter - by Gail Kavanagh - H…". 2013-05-06. Archived from the original on 2013-05-06.