|Date(s):||19 June 2003 - 20 September 2004|
|External Links:||Blood Magic (Potions and Snitches)|
Blood Magic (Fiction Alley)
Blood Magic (The Archive at the End of the Universe)
Blood Magic (FF.Net, up to 65/84)
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Blood Magic is an epic Harry Potter story by GatewayGirl. It was written for the Severitus Challenge.
Summary: "Blood magic was supposed to keep Harry safe, but his relatives are expendable. Blood magic was supposed to keep Harry looking like his adoptive father, but it's wearing off. Blood is a bond, but so is the memory of hate - or love."
Recs and Reviews
- "Harry finds out that Snape is really his father, but they both must hide this fact so that Snape can continue to spy for as long as possible. Around the same time the Dursleys are killed, which means the Minstry's trying to adopt Harry. Plus there's the whole Voldemort rising thing. Set during Harry's sixth year, AU after book five. [...] My favorites are probably the burgeoning Harry/Draco friendship, the troubled Ron/Hermione/Harry friendship (lying about Snape's relationship to Harry was bad enough and then Harry *told the truth*), and of course, Harry's relationship to Severus (my absolute favorite and the focus of the story as a whole). Full of realism, relationship angst, adventure, love, and family, this is a truly great offering for anyone who would like to see a thoughtful, fascinating interpretation of the Harry is Snape's son genre."
- "In my opinion GatewayGirl is a fantastic writer. Her characters are rich and believeable and the situations into which she places them are well plotted and gripping. This story is an answer to the Severitus Challenge where Snape is Harry's father. I have seen this done badly, but this one is outstanding and well worth a read. GatewayGirl shows us Harry's world changing beyond his control and how he copes with this as well as a conflicted, worried Severus Snape. I have no qualms in recommending this fic."
- "Blood Magic is considered a classic in this genre, and I was mildly shocked that it wasn't already in the library. It was one of the first stories I read that made me take a different look at Severus Snape and see him, not just as a bastard Death Eater teacher, but as a real, flawed character. It's also one of the few that managed to explain how Snape could be Harry's father in a believable manner. It's a bit slower paced than I normally like, but it has a lot of politics, wizarding culture, and even Dark Arts. It's better written than even the average story, and 100% better than the average Severitus. Nothing that Gateway Girl includes is by chance, and everything becomes important at some point. I think one of the best things is that it has no real pairings as Harry doesn't end up with anybody. It was long ago completed, and is quite long. There are fewer technical errors in it than there are in many published works. If you're going to read any Severitus story, this should be the one."
- "This fic is 84 chapters long, but I wish it were 184, or even 284. I guess that’s saying something. If I were to choose one fic to compete with canon, this would be it. Despite its length, I read it four times, and every time I discovered something new that took my breath away. This is a Severitus fic. No! This is the Severitus fic. In my opinion, however well other fics that answer Severitus’ challenge might be written, Blood Magic has no rivals. I don’t know how many people out there haven’t read it, but if you happen to be one of them, go read!"
- jane_elliot in epic_recs. Blood Magic by Gatewaygirl (R), 27 July 2009. (Accessed 05 August 2011)
- Beren. Blood Magic by GatewayGirl, 13 November 2003. (Accessed 05 August 2011)
- "Blood Magic by GatewayGirl - M". Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- "Know it Alls - The Very Best Harry Potter Fanfiction Recs". Retrieved 2011-08-05.