A Fine Line (OUAT story)
|Title:||A Fine Line|
|Length:||Around 18,000 words|
|Fandom:||Once Upon a Time|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
A Fine Line is a Once Upon a Time fanfiction by hunnyfresh, focusing upon the Emma Swan/Regina Mills pairing (aka SwanQueen). The premise involves Emma and Regina being separated by a magical barrier, and the fic is notorious for its emotional slow burn, angst and pining.
Many fandom members in the SwanQueen fandom consider A Fine Line to be a fandom classic, and it is often recced as an introductory fic for newbies to the pairing. A Fine Line has inspired many fanworks, including fan posters, moodboards, and vids.
Upon Regina's banishment, the small town of Storybrooke becomes protected once again by an enchantment that prevents anyone from leaving or entering Storybrooke. Emma and Regina find themselves on the edge of the town, wishing for a way to the other side.
Reactions and Reviews
I put off reading this for a while, but the number of reviews it had on fanfiction.net just spoke for itself. So, I finally read it and completely and totally regretted not reading it any sooner. It’s long enough that you get enough meat in the storyline, but isn’t huge and needs a lot of commitment to actually read the entire thing 
This one was recommended to me by a coworker, and it was right on the money, a slow emotional build to a satisfying ending.
Get ready for bucket loads of pining and longing because this fanfiction will surely tug on your heartstrings. Yes it's a Swan Queen fic and it has an element of magic but that is really a minor detail and it can be read by anyone... The only thing that I missed in this fic were more chapters or perhaps an epilogue. After waiting and wanting to be together for so long the ending, though great, felt a little abrupt
Having read this fic, a staple of the Swan Queen community, I can understand why it's earned that description. Although short, the story focuses on the two women and how their interactions help each to understand and define who they are. Regina and Emma cannot physically touch throughout their developing relationship which forces them to fall in love for who they are, not solely based on attraction. It's a good little story about these two ladies, an easy introduction to the wonderful, broad reality that is the fandom.
- Graphic, Archived version by wondertwinc
- Comic, Part One, Archived version Comic, Part Two, Archived version by marynesq
- a fine line, Archived version by Nialies
- A Fine Line, Archived version by MissLane
- a fine line, Archived version by nikikaidoxa
- Always Here (A Fine Line), Archived version by Rose Arce
Example Art Gallery
- "April 25, 2021 Tweet". Archived from the original on 2022-06-13.
- "July 9, 2014 Tumblr post". Archived from the original on 2022-06-14.
- "April 10, 2015 Tumblr post". Archived from the original on 2022-06-14.
- "Rec: A Fine Line by hunnyfresh July 5, 2015 Tumblr post". Archived from the original on 2022-06-14.
- Goodreads reviews
- "January 6, 2022 Tumblr post". Archived from the original on 2022-06-14.