|Name:||X, X/1999, エックス|
|Date(s):||1992-2002 (on hiatus)|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
|External Links:||CLAMP's Site/JP|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
X (エックス), also known as X/1999, is a still-unfinished manga by Clamp that was adapted into an anime series and a film. It is unusual in so far as both series and film have different endings. It is set in the same universe as Tokyo Babylon, with the two common characters being one of the popular slash pairings of the fandom, Seishirou x Subaru.
The story focuses on Kamui Shirou and his two friends, Fuuma and Kotori Monou.
The fandom was notorious in its heyday for a large amount of wank. Elitism was common among certain fan groups, and there was a good amount of arguing over whether the anime or the manga was better.
The series' most popular male characters and the four possible ship combinations of them were known as the Big Four: Kamui, Fuuma, Subaru and Seishirou. At times, fans of "lesser" characters such as Karen or Satsuki would feel annoyed at the popularity of the Big Four and rant about how their favorites deserved more love, leading to accusations of elitism. 
The fate of the manga
The manga was stalled due to real-life events making certain plot points difficult to write about. It has yet to resume and reach a proper conclusion, much to the ire and disappointment of fans.
X has a large yaoi and shounen ai following, a decent het following and one canonical yuri pair. The aforementioned Big Four were at the forefront of many shipping wars; most infamously Kamui/Subaru vs Subaru/Seishirou. Fans of the former felt Subaru deserved to move on from his past abusive relationship, while fans of the latter felt such an idea flew in the face of canon and "missed the point" of what a tragic character Subaru was.
Most popular fanon ships
- What is this 'sadame'? by mayflower, Sorata/Arashi (Dec 2004)
- Their last happy dream by rainmage, Kuzuki Kakyou/Sumeragi Hokuto (Mar 2005)
- The Sun Also Shines at Night by chinofuuma, Monou Fuuma/Shirou Kamui (Apr 2005)
- Burnt Bridges Over Still Waters by chrysa, Sakurazuka Seishirou/Sumeragi Subaru (Apr 2006)
- Ice Candy and Chivalry by von_questenberg, Suoh/Nokoru (Jul 2006)
- Sun Goes Down by parron, Subaru Sumeragi/Arashi Kishuu (Aug 2006)
- To Sleep, Perchance to Dream by von_questenberg, Hinoto/Tomoyo (Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle) (Feb 2007)
- A Few of My Favorite Things by kara_m, Sumeragi Hokuto/Daidouji Tomoyo (Cardcaptor Sakura) (Feb 2007)
- The Fake Sound of Progress by mefiant, Monou Fuuma/Sumeragi Subaru (Feb 2007)
- Sleeping with Ghosts by damalur, Monou Fuuma/Kishuu Arashi/Sumeragi Subaru (Jul 2007)
- 「tomodachi dakara」 by parron, Shirou Kamui/Segawa Keiichi (Apr 2008)
- Sorata/Arashi by parron, Sorata/Arashi (Oct 2008)
- Analysis of Subaru, Kamui, and Subaru/Kamui by bemused_writer, Sumeragi Subaru/Shirou Kamui (Mar 2020)