|Trope · Genre|
|See Also:||Macrophilia, Microphilia, Giantess, Dwarves, Dwarfism and Fandom|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
This article is about the kink/fetish concerning a relationship between two (or more) people, at least one of whom has been shrunk down to a smaller size by some means.
Prevalence in fandom
While certainly an obscure fetish, it is by any means a valid one, and most commonly seen in fics set in a fantasy universe, where the concept of shrinking is actually possible. Outside of fantasy setting, storylines can be twisted so a character somehow receives a means of shrinking things, such as creating a shrink ray, being given some mystical item that shrinks the bearer, etc.
Conversely, there is also a Giant/Giantess fetish, which involves a similar scenario, but it involves a character having grown in size rather than shrinking.
Fandoms that have feasible access to shrinking
- Despicable Me -- The main character Gru steals a shrink ray from a high tech Japanese weapons facility, so this can be manipulated easily.
- Enid Blyton -- A few of the books in this series, ones concerning the Magic Wishing Chair in particular, have used the concept of shrinking.
- Final Fantasy -- A few of the games in the series - VII and IX most prominently - have access to shrinking spells, which can be used by any magic wielder.
- Gulliver's Travels -- This story famously involved many characters of different size, making relationships between them possible, or even easy.
- Gravity Falls
What's the appeal?
It's uncertain exactly what draws people to the shrinking fetish. Perhaps it's one of the several subgenres that become enhanced by the size difference, or perhaps the mechanics of a sustained relationship, i.e. Substituting a finger for an arm due to the proportional difference in size.
Subgenres that benefit from Shrinking
- Foot fetishes
- Crushing fetishes
- Many varieties of BDSM
Pairings in the Shrinking or Giant/Giantess fetish often involve a capital letter (examples; F/f, Mf/m) to signify who the larger and smaller members are of the relationship.
- GT: Giant
- GTS: Giantess
- SM: Small (Shrunken) Man
- SW: Small (Shrunken) Woman
- Mini Giant(ess): Scale of size referring to someone between 15 and 50 feet in height.
- Mega Giant(ess): Scale of size referring to someone who has exceeded 100 feet in height, but remains less than 500 feet tall.
- Brobdingnagian: A colloquial term borrowed from Gulliver's Travels to reference anyone of 'colossal' size. In the Size difference fandom, this usually refers to someone between 500 and 1000 feet in height.
- Giga Giant(ess): People growing up to or past 1 kilometre in height generally receive the 'giga' prefix. Titan is occasionally used as well.
- Dwarf: Scale of size referring to someone between 3 and 5 feet in height.
- Munchkin: Scale of size referring to someone between 1 and 3 feet in height.
- Doll: Scale of size referring to someone between 3 and 12 inches in height.
- Lilliputian: Also borrowed from Gulliver's Travels, this colloquialism refers to people between 0.5 and 3 inches in height.
- Micro: Generally, anyone smaller than half an inch in height is called a micro, or perhaps a 'tiny'.
Examples of works in the fandom
- Zeiry the Fairy by Gamewizard2008, a Fairy Tail fic where the character is temporarily shrunk by an independent source, in this case a mushroom.
- A Quantum of Solace by Celesma, a Supernatural fic involving permanent shrinking by a witch's spell.
- A Little Hindsight by Kennisiou, a Final Fantasy VII fic where the main character is permanently shrunk by Mini materia; a canonical situation.