|Location:||New York, Brakebills University|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Quentin is lifelong fan of the Fillory and Further series. He discovers that they are in fact based in truth and pose a danger to his world. He enrolls at Brakebills University for Magical Pedagogy to be trained as a magician.
After his graduation from Brakebills, Penny brings him evidence of travel between worlds and he travels to Fillory. He returns to Earth, then returns to Fillory to become King of Fillory He is ejected from Fillory and returns mutliple times.
He was killed off in the season 4 finale.
Fan Response to Season 4
His death sparked immediate controversy following the Season 4 Finale. Fans objected to the show killing off a character who has struggled with mental illness, and to killing of a queer character, contributing to the Bury Your Gays trope. Fans organized the #PeopleLikeMe letter writing campaign to "to let SyFy know Quentin's story, like ours, shouldn't end in tragedy". Petitions were also created on sites like change.org to Bring Quentin Coldwater (Jason Ralph) Back To The Magicians.
Thank Q for the Hope, a fanworks auction with proceeds going to The Trevor Project, that was organized in the aftermath of the finale. The people behind the fan-run fundraiser point out that; "Understandably, the fans for whom Quentin was crucial representation are devastated by this decision, and in the aftermath, we wanted to help channel that heartbreak into giving back to our community and celebrating our fandom."
There was a surge in Magicians fanworks following the finale. Since the finale airdate, there have been over 150 Magicians fanworks updated on Ao3 that include the tag fix-it.  Some fans have also expressed their unhappiness with the finale through vids, like yelling at a plant (aka yelling at the writers of the magicians) by theprincessandthepie.
- The Magicians Discussion: The Season 4 Finale Changes the Show Forever(archived link) article by Syfy contributors Jessica Toomer and Alyssa Fikse, Apr 18, 2019. The article was taken offline a week after it was published.
- Queerness and Death in the Magicians, another article that was taken off the Syfy site, two hours after it had been posted. The original author, S.E. Fleenor also republished their article on a different site, with a different title; 'The Magicians' Season 4 Finale Is a Master's Class in How NOT to Treat Queer Characters. (April 24 & 25, 2019)
Meta in Response to Season 4
- On the Magicians season finale by sholio, (Apr 20, 2019) discussing a lot of thinky thoughts about storytelling and how we engage with fictional characters, with reference to fandom discourse on Tumblr at the time.
- The Magicians S4 Finale Aired Five Days Ago And I'm Still Mad As Hell by cleolinda, (Apr 22, 2019), discussing the reaction to the season 4 finale, media portrayals of suicide, as well as the suicidal ideation.
- Quentin Coldwater/Eliot Waugh, is the most popular pairing for the character and the dominant pairing in this fandom.
- Quentin Coldwater/Alice Quinn
- Quentin Coldwater/Margo Hanson/Eliot Waugh
- Bisexuality:The Musical by greywash (Feb 24th, 2019), a reflexion and call to action about the canon and fandom's attitudes to Quentin as a bisexual man.
- the magicians - god this show by seperis (March 16, 2019), about the foreshadowing->addressing pattern visible in Quentin's sexual identity and mental health issues.
- Fillory Rules by frankie_31: an AU where Quentin grew up feral in Fillory. (Quentin/Eliot, rated Teen.)
- Five Conversations Not With You by Page161of180: Set in season 4, 5 conversations Quentin has about his path to save Eliot (or not). (Quentin/Eliot, not rated.)
- an ever-fixèd mark by greywash: a season 4 Quentin/Monster!Eliot story (Explicit.)
- All Seems So Simple by achray: a series of conversation Quentin has had over the years about his bisexuality. (Quentin/OMC, Quentin/Eliot, Explicit). Part of the BISEXUALITY:THE MUSICAL collection ([https://archiveofourown.org/collections/bisexuality_the_musical)