|Related terms:||Gateship, Puddle Jumper (canon), 'Jumper, Jumper|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Puddlejumpers first appear in the pilot episode of Stargate Atlantis, where several of them are discovered in the city's hangar bay, and frequently recur throughout the series. Major John Sheppard named these ships "Puddle Jumpers" in Stargate Atlantis premiere episode Rising, rejecting out of hand the name "Gateship" used by Lt. Aiden Ford and Dr. Rodney McKay (which was later discovered to be in use in other canon alternate realities) as too boring.
Piloting Puddlejumpers (most efficiently) requires a natural or synthetic ATA-gene, although in later Stargate Atlantis canon a workaround for non-ATA-gene carrying pilots may have been found.
Puddlejumpers are featured in many SGA fanworks. Sometimes they are described as sentient; occasionally they're anthropomorphized. Puddlejumpers feature heavily in episode tags and AUs of season two SGA episode Grace Under Pressure, in which Rodney is trapped in a crashed Puddlejumper on the seafloor. Some examples:
- I Am Your Image Dressed As The World (AO3 link) by mirabile dictu, in which John makes a very long solo voyage in a (near-)AI-enhanced puddlejumper.
- In The Jumper Bay (Wraithbait link) by damerel. Crackfic in which the Atlantis Jumpers slash John and Rodney.
- Land Shark by basingstoke. John and the Jumper have a special connection.
- Public Timeline by sabinelagrande and arymabeth. Crackfic AU of Grace Under Pressure, retold in tweets.
- Graceful Exit by astolat. John/Rodney/Radek tag to Grace Under Pressure that takes place in the rescue Jumper.
Puddlejumpers seem to be one of John Sheppard's preferred methods for potential suicide through bravery/heroic idiocy. Many SGA fanworks refer to his last-minute decision to pilot a Puddlejumper containing a nuke into a besieging Wraith ship (a kamikaze mission, which he only survives due to last-minute intervention from the Daedalus) with only a "So long, Rodney" as a farewell to Rodney.
Other Fannish Uses
- Gen-only SGA fanfiction archive The Jumper Bay is named for the spacecraft.
- Jumper is a series of gen multi-author SGA anthology zines.
- Gateship section at Ancient Starships page at Wikipedia (canon resource)
- Gateship entry at Stargate Wiki at Wikia (canon resource)
- Puddle Jumper entry at Stargate Omnipedia at Gateworld (canon resource)
- They are described as "ziti-shaped" by an AU John Sheppard: "Gateship?" John said. "Wait, are you talking about those little ziti-shaped things, the ones that fly to the mainland?" in astolat's No Refunds or Exchanges (Accessed 16 May 2011)
- It's Good To Be King episode overview at Stargate Wiki at Wikia. (Accessed 16 May 2011)
- See Time Jumper entry at Stargate Wiki at Wikia. (Accessed 16 May 2011)
- The Puddlejumpers, "the biggest band in the world" in trinityofone's The Four Quarters 'verse. (Accessed 16 May 2011)
- His horse, in Animal Husbandry by casspeach. (Accessed 16 May 2011)
- His sailboat, in Bar Harbor's Best by wojelah. (Accessed 16 May 2011)