Ororo Munroe/Logan Howlett
| Ororo Munroe/Logan Howlett, Ororo Munroe/Logan
|X-Men (comics), X-Men: Evolution, X-Men Movieverse, Wolverine and the X-Men
|Yes, in some universes
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Ororo/Logan, also known as RoLo, is the het pairing of Logan Howlett (Wolverine) and Ororo Munroe (Storm) from the X-Men series and its adaptations. Well known within X-Men fandom, they appear to have reached the height of their popularity in the early 2000s, although, there are still many fans of the pairing.
With the constant changes within the comics fandom and the various adaptations many new fans are being introduced to the pairing, and are inspired to create fanworks that explore their friends to lovers dynamic, their domestic home life within the X-mansion, and various kinks.
In the early comics Logan and Ororo were often shown to have a flirty relationship. They even kissed once in Uncanny X-Men Annual #11 (1987), but their relationship never progressed beyond friendship. Many fans trace their love for the pairing to One Man's Worth, an episode in X-Men: The Animated Series, that showed Logan and Ororo in a romantic relationship in an alternative universe. A similar storyline was seen in the original movieverse, when once again, it was shown that Logan and Ororo were together in an alternative universe. The late 2010s comics storyline had Ororo begin a romantic relationship with Logan after her divorce from T'Challa.
The peak popularity for this pairing appears to be the late 1990s to early 2000s, but there are still many devoted fans of the pairing, and newer comics storylines and adaptations often draws in new fans. According to AO3 in 2023, this pairing is the most popular het ship for Ororo and the third most popular het ship for Logan.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Hurt/Comfort: there doesn't seem to be a strong preference for who experiences the hurt and who provides the comfort. Because they are both high powered mutants fans will often have to come up with creative ways to hurt them in their fanworks. Many fanworks will focus solely on the comfort aspect and have the pair comforting each other after canon or fanon traumatic events, or will be more about emotional hurt/comfort.
- Friends to Lovers: because of their canonical friendship many fanworks explore the possibility of that friendship deepening.
- Mundane AU: alternative universes where they do not have their mutant powers. It is not unusual to have all the X-Men still be friends in these stories, and Ororo and Logan would first meet under different circumstances.
- Domestic Fic: their everyday lives as a couple, often living at the X-mansion and teaching at Xavier's school
- Futurefic: where they are in an established relationship, sometimes married with children
- BDSM: femdom is not uncommon. In some fanworks there is also the exploration of kinks, often with Ororo using her powers to control weather elements like temperature and electricity in the bedroom. It is also not unusual in fanworks to have Ororo cause spontaneous weather events during climax, like thunderstorms or snowstorms.
- Jean Bashing: many stories will portray Jean Grey in a very negative light, often contrasting how poorly Jean treated Logan against how well Ororo would treat him
Their ship name, RoLo, comes from combining two letters of each of their names, OroRO/LOgan. Who first coined the term is unknown, and although there have been other ship names throughout the years, this is the one most commonly used
I've always thought that there's an admirable level of trust and mutual respect despite having so many clashing ideals between them, giving them an understanding of each other that few others can claim to have. And because of that, I think they suit each other really well.
- Logan and Ororo by Thrillerbabe2006
- Logan in a Storm by CoomicbookGirl
- Wolverine Rescues Storm by BobKO
- The Goddess Queen and The Feared Hero by LinaPrime
- Moonlight Lake by sister_wolf
- Broadway Dates & Thunderstorms by Tomigiru
- Beyond Freedom by darkscanner, a mix of the different animated series and some comics
- Secrets by victorwonder, X-Men: The Animated Series, focused on "One Man's Worth"
- "The ROLO Factor": Wolverine & Storm's Relationship, Archived version by Dark Lightning
Example Art Gallery
Why by HMS-08 (2009), the stylization of the characters based on Wolverine and the X-Men
Less than Loro by BlazeRocket (2010), this piece based on their character designs from X-Men: Evolution
Archives and Fannish Links
- Ororo/Logan works at FFN in the comics category
- The RoLo Archive community
- Ororo/Logan works at FFN in the XMM category
- RoLo Lovers community
- Ororo/Logan works at FFN in the XME category
- Ororo/Logan works at FFN in the WXM category
- Ororo/Logan works at AO3
- The RoLo Realm
- Kindred Souls, a Geocities archive (defunct)
- Ororo & Logan Secret World on Angelfire
- Poet's The Logan and Ororo Shrine (defunct)
- Ragin' Wind (defunct)
These mailing lists were on Yahoo! Groups and have since gone defunct:
- According to a search of the AO3 stats done for these characters on November 23, 2023
- "fyeahstormandwolvie FAQ". Archived from the original on 2019-02-23.
- "Fan, LycheeLoving. Storm and Wolverine Love Appreciation, posted 05 November 2014 to Comic Book Resources forum". Archived from the original on 2019-02-23.