Not In This Land Alone
|Title:||Not In This Land Alone|
|Date(s):||01 September 2010|
|Length:||37,800 words / 4:10:29 hours|
|External Links:||Not In This Land Alone (Livejournal, PDF)|
Not In This Land Alone (AO3)
Not In This Land Alone (Audiofic Archive)
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Not In This Land Alone is a Merlin/Arthur Modern AU by torakowalski (37,800 words). It was written for Paperlegends, the Merlin Big Bang challenge in 2010. The story starts out as Merlin/Will but that soon changes.
Summary: Modern AU. When Merlin Emrys gets a summer job at Buckingham Palace, he doesn't expect to even meet King Arthur, let alone become involved in protecting him from a plot to overthrow the monarchy.
Lamardeuse created pinch-hit cover art for the story and willowbell made two illustrations and a fanmix. Merlin's head in the story cover "is totally thanks to nicci_mac, who modified a recent shot of Colin for a manip and graciously allowed its use."
Recs and Reviews
- "A really fantastic Modern King Arthur story. I simply adored this fic from beginning to end. It’s a tightly written, perfectly charming epic AU using a trope that's already been done brilliantly a few times over and yet the concept of this one felt new and breathed new life into it for me. Arthur is young – 21ish, and newly crowned (Uther had died only a few months before this fic begins) . Arthur must learn his place in a world where for many reasons no one close to him treats him as if he’s truly King."
- "This fic is nothing short of perfect. I adore Arthur as a young King, lonely and unhappy with never being told anything or consulted for his opinion. And Merlin, of course, who sees straight through the royal façade to the man beneath. I tend to be very wary about Merlin/Arthur fics that start off Merlin/Will, but the author handled both relationships (no cheating!) wonderfully, and I was never once dissatisfied with either. The plot draws you in and holds you there, and the action is very well written."
- "What a wonderful, action packed story. Merlin's job believably got him into the palace and his first meetings with fun and funny. I loved the image of Merlin magically cleaning and then thinking he's bringing the palace down around him when it's actually Arthur coming through a secret passage. [...] The relationships you built between Arthur and Morgana and Morgana and Morgause were warm and charming, and it was nice to know Arthur had some support as he was growing up. [...] I loved the talking portraits and how totally unnerving Uther was the first time. Really, Gaius could have warned poor Merlin. Getting that kind of destiny sprung on you could give a person a heart attack! The attacks were vivid and frightening, and all the conspirators were entertainingly evil." (Brunettepet, AO3 comment)
- "In which Arthur is the Prince of Wales, Merlin gets a summer job in the palace, and there are Dark Anti-Monarchist Plots afoot. Merlin/Arthur fic as modern suspense novel."
- lamardeuse. Art note, 02 September 2010. (Accessed 17 September 2010)
- crinklysolution. Merlin: Podfic of Not In This Land Alone by torakowalski, read by crinklysolution, 06 June 2011. (Accessed 11 June 2011)
- marguerite_26. MERLIN BIG BANG RECS, 02 September 2010. (Accessed 17 September)
- dreamdustmama. My brain is fic-fuzzy., 05 September 2010. (Accessed 17 September 2010)
- melannen. Longfic recs for Stellar_dust (and anybody else who wants them), 12 January 2011. (Accessed 12 January 2011)