This page provides help with choosing which templates to use on a page. For technical help wth using and creating templates, see Help:Templates.
- 1 Template Types
- 2 Infobox Templates
- 3 Notices
- 4 Image Templates
- Infoboxes are fixed-format tables designed to be added to the top right-hand corner of articles to consistently present a summary of some unifying aspect that the articles share and to improve navigation to other interrelated articles. 
- Notices alert the user to something (usually that some action needs to be taken).
- Labels indicate the function of a page.
- Timelines generate a chronological graph.
Infoboxes for stuff done by non-fans
Infoboxes for fandoms
Infoboxes for fan activities
Infoboxes for websites and other online spaces
- Template:ArchiveProfile - fanwork archive, usually online
- Template:CommunityProfile - generic template for any fan grouping not otherwise specified (but optimized for online forums)
- Template:Forum - web forums, discussion boards, etc.
- Template:JournalComm - a "community" on journal sites like LiveJournal
- Template:MailingList - mailing list
- Template:Site - any kind of website except for archives
- Template:Tumblr - a tumblr account
- Template:UsenetProfile - a newsgroup
- Template:Webring - a webring
Infoboxes for individual fanworks
- Template:Album - albums of audio fanworks, such as wizard rock
- Template:FilkSong - for a single filk song
- Template:FilkAlbum - for albums of filk
- Template:FilkSongbook - for a filkbook
...types of zines
- Template:ZineAnthology - fiction anthologies
- Template:ZineNewsletter - newsletters, letterzines, APAs
- Template:ZineNonfiction - miscellaneous nonfiction
- Template:ZineNovel - novels published as zines
- Template:ZinePoetry - zines focused on poetry
Infoboxes for persons and groups
- Template:AnimeClub - articles about anime clubs
- Template:CollaborationCollective - articles about artistic collaborators and collectives
- Template:DoujinshiCircle - articles about doujinshi circles
- Template:FanClub - articles about fan clubs other than anime clubs
- Template:FanProfile - articles about individual fans, focused on their fannishness
- Template:OrganizationCorporation - articles about organizations and companies
- Template:PersonProfile - articles about people who are not fans, or where the article does not focus on their fannishness
- Template:TranslationGroup - collectives/groups of fansubbers, scanlators, etc.
- Template:UserProfile - Fanlore editors; should be used only on pages in the User: namespace
- Template:ZinePublisherProfile - articles about zine publishers
Infoboxes for pages not in the main namespace
Notices that indicate incomplete pages
- Template:Stub - very very short page
- Template:ExpandArticle - page has some content, but needs a lot more; there may be some empty placeholder sections that need filling in
- Template:NeedsMoreFandom - old template formerly used to indicate a page has too much canon detail; can be used for pages where relationship to fandom is unclear
- Template:LessCanonMoreFandom - new template to indicate a page has too much canon detail
- Template:ExamplesWanted - add this notice to invite other editors to add more examples on Trope & Genre pages, Character pages, Pairing pages, and any other types of pages where examples of relevant fanworks are desired.
- Template:PPOV - needs more points of view. Especially useful if you are documenting a controversy and you need someone from the other side to add their POV/check the accuracy of your statements.
- Template:Citation needed - add this to an unsourced statement that needs more evidence. Fanlore encourages first-hand accounts and original research, so use this template only when you think there needs to be a citation -- for example, there is a source (but can't find it), or you think the statement is inaccurate (also discuss on talk page). Sometimes the source is "I was there and this is the way I remember it".
Notices that indicate a page is under construction
- Template:Discussion - editors currently discussing page, or there's an explanation on the talk page you need to read before editing the article
- Template:UnfoldingSituation - when documenting something controversial that is still ongoing
- Template:WIP - for policy, admin, template, and help pages that aren't finished yet; let us know your thoughts!
- Template:Cleanup - article needs copy editing, reorganizing, etc.
- Template:Sandbox - article is such a confusing morass that editors decided it needs to be reorganized and rewritten from scratch (use sparingly)
Notices for pages that require admin or gardener attention
- Template:AttentionGardeners - when you need a gardener's help. Especially useful for answering questions, resolving disputes, and renaming pages.
- Template:ProposeDeletion - if you think the page does not belong on Fanlore.
- Template:Spam - If you don't have the power to delete spam or block the spammer, use this notice.
- Template:Spoilers - if you add recent canon plot developments to a page.
- Template:PolicyFeedback - used rarely; for policies currently under development
- Template:TranslationRequest - when you need something translated
See Help:Image templates.