|Date(s):||26 May 2008|
|Length:||~8,300 words - 1:01:09 hrs (podfic)|
|Genre:||slash, BDSM, character study|
|External Links:||Harmonic Function at AO3|
Harmonic Function on LiveJournal
Harmonic Function on Dreamwidth
Harmonic Function podfic at Audiofic Archive
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
- Summary: "Let's go with Banach-Tarski as your safeword," McKay says almost absently, lips tracing lazily along John's hairline, and John blinks.
- "You want to go with a Euclidean geometric paradox for my safeword?" he asks, bemused.
Author's Warnings: "Kink, Kink, OMG THERE IS SOME KINK HERE! Seriously, though. This is fairly intense s/D, BDSM. Also, unsafe sex, if that bugs you. Do keep in mind that this is fiction, and you're a moron not to use protection in reality."
Recs & Reactions
- "The one with D/S Rodney style. Alternate history, pre-Atlantis. Realistic D/S scene that's in character and character revealing. Oh yeah, and Dom Rodney for people who care about that."
- "*flails* Holy fuck that was hot and also awesome. I love the mathy bits; the idea of Rodney doing things to John while getting off on both the sadism and the math is brilliant. And I really like how you tied it in with Rodney hardly ever using John's name in canon. In fact, I actually love the whole fic from start to finish. Yum!"
- "SO hot and SO amazing and I love how deeply emotional it is without anyone ever mentioning their feelings. WOW. I also love that you're not afraid to take this kind of story to some seemingly fucked-up places, with Rodney smacking John around after John says he has to go. Of course the kneejerk reaction is omg abusive but John's combat trained and refrains from using his safeword, so if it's fucked up, it's fucked up on both sides. And in a way that's extremely hot and very affecting. Really loved this."
- "'Harmonic Function', which is full of pretty extreme sex (credibly in-character) but is not about the sex: it's about everything else that is happening between John and Rodney in a ten-day period. I'm going with this as AU though it may be backstory: in which case can haz sequel nao pls? because there is a lot left unexplored."
- "Is 'gulp' enough of a review for you? I believe wholeheartedly in the dynamics set up in this story and of course that's down to the author but holy *shit* did fiercelydreamed sell it with the whole of herself. Rodney has this compelling, hypnotic voice and John is just *gone* for most of it."
- "To me what jumped out about this podfic was the way that hearing it aloud emphasized the psychological nature of the story. The way Rodney was controlling the situation psychologically - and John's response to him - the headgame - is what came to the forefront for me more than the sexual part of it. I know they are all connected, but hearing you read it sublimated the sex and highlighted the psychological. You did a great, great job reading this. You split the difference between "doing" the voices and not trying to imitate the actors imperfectly. the pacing was perfect. Often I find that podficcers read too slowly but you were right-on."
- "What struck me the most was the way you read the quiet moments. You really brought out the strong emotions in this story. I especially loved how you handled their final conversation and how much time you took in telling their story, the pacing was just right."
- Podfic: Harmonic Function (by Shaenie) announcement post by fiercelydreamed, 4 Jan 2009. (Accessed 27 Jan 2012)
- Fandom: Stargate Atlantis post by facetofcathy, 20 Dec 2010, archiving 26 May 2008 delicious bookmark. (Accessed 27 Jan 2012); reference link
- comment at fic announcement post by telesilla, 26 May 2008. (Accessed 27 Jan 2012)
- comment at fic announcement post by cesare, 26 May 2008. (Accessed 27 Jan 2012)
- SG:A: 38 More Recs by gloriamundi, 30 Sep 2008. (Accessed 27 Jan 2012)
- Rec: SGA post by dodificus, 13 Mar 2009. (Accessed 27 Jan 2012)
- comment at the podfic announcement post by mollya, 6 Jan 2009. (Accessed 27 Jan 2012)
- comment at the podfic announcement post by acari, 9 Jan 2009. (Accessed 27 Jan 2012)