Gendry Still Rowing
|Synonyms:||Where is Gendry?, Still Rowin'|
|See Also:||Game of Thrones|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Gendry Still Rowing was a meme in Game of Thrones fandom, humorously referencing the fact that the character of Gendry Waters disappeared for several seasons of the show and was last seen in a rowboat rowing away at the end of season 3. The meme received media coverage, tweets from the actor who plays Gendry, comments from TPTB, and eventually a shout-out on the show when Gendry returned in season 7.
In season 3, episode 10, "Mhysa", of Game of Thrones, Gendry Waters escapes being burned at the stake by leaving Dragonstone in a rowboat. He plans to flee to mainland Westeros. This episode aired on June 9, 2013, and would be the last time Gendry was seen on the show until August 13, 2017, when Gendry returned in season 7, episode 5, "Eastwatch."
After Gendry rowed away at the end of season 3, he remained absent from the show for all of season 4, his actions and whereabouts completely unaddressed. It seems to have taken about a full year for Gendry's absence to really be noted, probably because fans were hoping he'd come back in season 4, but how exactly the "Still Rowing" meme began is somewhat unclear.
An early example—showing that fans where already making fun of the fact the Gendry was still probably out in the boat in season 4—is a May 2014 reddit thread on the r/gameofthrones subreddit showing a cartoon of a man in a rowboat and the title "Meanwhile somewhere in the Narrow Sea". The post received 310 comments and as of early 2019 has just over 3,000 upvotes. These numbers no longer qualify the post for r/gameofthrones' top posts of all time, but is substantial response considering the date the post was made.
Many fans in the thread commented on the fact that Gendry's disappearance was actually a result of the books' adaptation into a television show.
In the book it was someone else [in the boat] right? But there's still no word? The other character ( of which the show fused the two into) is accounted for.
After each episode's credits there should be a clip of Gendry still rowing to Westeros.
My wife is furious that she has yet to see anything this season from one of her favorites. She swears Gendry has some huge role he has yet to play in all of this and his absence is driving her crazy.
However, the term "Still rowin'" came from the actor Joe Dempsie, who played Gendry, who tweeted, "Still rowin'...#GoT" in June 2014 just days after season 4 concluded without any updates on Gendry's status. Fans took the concept and created various image macros and other memes, many of them tweeted at Dempsie in reply to his post. Popular variations included Gendry in the rowboat with text, Gendry inserted into other water scenes on the show, or missing characters photoshopped in the boat with Gendry.
Dempsie continued to occasionally reference the meme, notably in June 2015 after the final episode of season 5 and in June 2016 after the final episode of season 6. Fans continued to respond to his tweets, and may fans on twitter used #stillrowing and #stillrowin on their tweets about missing Gendry. On tumblr, the popular tag was "where is gendry".
House words created by Iteki referencing the meme, posted the same day as actor Joe Dempsie's tweet.
Gendry's return and TPTB
Dan Weiss: “He’s still rowing.”
David Benioff: “Yes, he's still rowing. It's a long, a very long–"
Dan Weiss: "He's coming up on Florida."
David Benioff: "He's getting in great shape. Think of the shape he's in after rowing for four seasons."
Dan Weiss: "Big lats."
When Gendry returned in 2017 for season 7 episode 5, the meme was referenced in dialogue: Davos Seaworth, who originally put Gendry in the rowboat back in season 3, goes to find Gendry and says, "Thought you might still be rowing."
When the directors put a fandom joke about Gendry rowing forever. Fantastic thank you #GameOfThronesS7
Please give us a shot of Gendry's jacked rowing arms #gameofthrones
Dempsie also tweeted about it again:
🚣 ashore. #Hallelujah @GameOfThrones
- Know Your Meme: Where is Gendry
- #stillrowing and #stillrowin on twitter
- "where is gendry" tag on tumblr
Before Gendry's return
- Jun 3 2014—Buzzfeed: Seriously, Where Is Gendry On "Game Of Thrones"? (archive)
- Jun 18 2016—Popsugar: Seriously, Where Is Gendry on Game of Thrones? The Internet Wants to Know (archive)
- Jul 7 2016—Moviefone: Where Is Gendry? 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Address Long Absence (archive)
- Jul 7 2016—ScreenRant: Game of Thrones Showrunners Say Gendry Is 'Still Rowing' (archive)
- Jul 10 2016—Bustle: Where Is Gendry On 'Game Of Thrones'? The Show's Creators Finally Have An Answer (archive)
- Sep 14 2016—Mashable: A certain 'Game of Thrones' character may be rowing back into our lives (archive)
- Aug 11 2017—Mashable: The most burning 'Game of Thrones' question: Where the eff is Gendry? (archive)
After Gendry's return
- Aug 13 2017—TV Line: Game of Thrones: A Brief History of Gendry, the Long-Lost Baratheon (archive)
- Aug 13 2017—Mashable: 'Game of Thrones' brought back someone we've sorely missed, and we're screaming (archive)
- Aug 13 2017—Huffington Post: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Actor Joe Dempsie Finally Reveals What Happened To Gendry (After years of waiting and plenty of rowing ...) (archive)
- Aug 13 2017—Bustle: 'Game Of Thrones' Made A Gendry Rowing Joke, Breaking The Fourth Wall In A Big Way (archive)
- Aug 14 2017—Boston Globe: Joe Dempsie—Gendry on ‘Game of Thrones’—on rowing memes and shirtless scenes (archive)
- Aug 15 2017—NME: ‘Game Of Thrones’ referenced a meme and the internet loved it (archive)
- Aug 28 2017—Hypable: ‘Game of Thrones’ Gendry watch 2k17: Where is that Baratheon bastard now? (Don't tell me he's rowing again.) (archive)
- Meanwhile somewhere in the Narrow Sea (archive 1, archive 2)
- Although it must be kept in mind that Reddit's voting algorithm has changed in the years since the "Somewhere in the Narrow Sea" post was made (the soft cap for how high something could be voted was raised from ~5,000 to ~8,000 in 2015, for example) and the algorithm has always been set up to count new material and new votes as more important than old things.
- professorlava, comment on "Meanwhile somewhere in the Narrow Sea". May 13th, 2014.
- faultlessjointBearded, comment on "Meanwhile somewhere in the Narrow Sea". May 13th, 2014.
- NickHink, comment on "Meanwhile somewhere in the Narrow Sea". May 13th, 2014.
- XcivHouse, comment on "Meanwhile somewhere in the Narrow Sea". May 13th, 2014.
- hobo_shinobi Comment on "Meanwhile somewhere in the Narrow Sea". May 13th, 2014.
- June 17, 2014 tweet
- June 17, 2015 tweet
- June 27, 2014 tweet
- From the July 5th 2016 interview UFC Unfiltered: Miesha Tate and GoT creators, transcribed in the Moviephone article Where Is Gendry? 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Address Long Absence, July 7, 2016
- According to the Game of Thrones wiki, despite being in the "starring cast" for season 7, Gendry doesn't appear in S7e1, S7e2, S7e3, or S7e4, so the August 13th 2017 season 7 episode 5 "Eastwatch" is Gendry's first appearance since season 3.
- ‘Game Of Thrones’ referenced a meme and the internet loved it
- @ablankbagebook, Aug 13, 2017 tweet.
- @ablankbagebook, Aug 13, 2017 tweet.
- 14 Aug 2017 tweet