|Pairing:||Dean Thomas/Ginny Weasley|
|Alternative name(s):||Ginny/Dean, De/G, DT/GW, S.S. Artist's Flame, "the other D/G"|
|Canonical?:||yes, but not endgame|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Dean/Ginny is a Harry Potter pairing involving Dean Thomas and Ginny Weasley. The two canonically dated through much of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but ultimately broke up to make way for the endgame Harry/Ginny.
The pairing had a modest following even before Order of the Phoenix, when it was first made canon. A SCUSA ship thread at FictionAlley Park was started in July 2002 and received over 16 pages of comments pre-OotP. The LiveJournal community for the ship, artistsflame, was founded April 2003.
At the end of Order of the Phoenix, Ginny announces that she has "chosen" Dean in response to Ron's instruction to "choose someone better [than Michael Corner] next time." This led to much speculation about what she meant and the actual extent of their relationship, and led to increased support for the ship. Dean and Ginny break up in Half-Blood Prince, but the pairing remains common, particularly by fans who do not ship Harry/Ginny. In post-HBP fanworks pairing Harry with another character, Ginny is sometimes described as getting back together with Dean.
- Sketches by firesorceress1 (May 2005). Dean's sketches of Ginny over the years. Written for hp_fqf, pre-HBP.
- The Guy with the Good Attitude Towards Menstruation by madeyemax (maxwrite) (Nov 2011). Written for Daily Deviant for the theme "Stretch Yourself". Menstruation Kink. Recced at het_reccers as "one of the most intimate and real... portrayals of a moment in boyfriend/girlfriend-dom that I've read." (Also on AO3.)
- Don't Ask Me For Forever by lar_laughs (May 2012). Post-DH, EWE. Written for the 2012 HP Diversity Mini Fest. (Also on AO3.)
- Dean and Ginny by Glockgal (Jul 2004). Dean sketching Ginny.
- Walking in on Dean and Ginny by Marta (seviet) (2005). An illustration of a canon scene from Half-Blood Prince where Harry and Ron run into Dean and Ginny "kissing fiercely" in a deserted corridor.
- secret passage by gerre (c. 2008). Another popular version of the same scene.
- Sketch by philotic-net (Feb 2008). A sketch of Dean and Ginny embracing.
- Artists’ Flame – The Little Ship That Could by Crystal (mafdet) (Jan 2005), a post-OotP essay written for ship_manifesto.
- Breaking All The Rules: the Literary Significance of Ginny's Love Life by Red Monster (Mar 2005), a post-OotP essay exploring Dean/Ginny as a pathway to Harry/Ginny.
Links & Resources
- SS Artist's Flame: Dean/Ginny at FictionAlley Park's SCUSA forum (Thread II, Thread III)
- artistsflame at LiveJournal
- Dean Thomas/Ginny Weasley tag at Archive of Our Own
- Ginny W. & Dean T. character filter and pairing filter at FanFiction.Net
- Dean/G stories at FictionAlley
- Ginny/Dean stories at HarryPotterFanfiction.com
- Ginny Weasley/Dean Thomas fic listing at FictionAlley Park's ...cruisin'... forum
- dean-x-ginny and ginny-x-dean tags at Tumblr