|Pairing:||Annabeth Chase/Piper McLean|
|Alternative name(s):||Annabeth/Piper, Piper/Annabeth, Pipabeth|
|Gender category:||femslash, F/F|
|Fandom:||Heroes of Olympus|
|Prevalence:||Common as a secondary/tertiary/minor pairing, uncommon as a main pairing|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Annabeth/Piper, also known as Pipabeth, is a femslash pairing in the Heroes of Olympus fandom. It began to appear in fanfiction shortly after The Mark of Athena was released, but didn't truly start to gain some traction within the Heroes of Olympus fandom until after The House of Hades was published in October 2013.
By the end of The Blood of Olympus, Piper and Annabeth get along very well, after a somewhat slow start to their friendship due to quests, kidnapping, the world ending, etc.
In The Lost Hero, Piper mentions that Annabeth would make a cool friend in better times, and before she's claimed by Aphrodite, hopes that Athena would claim her, so that she and Annabeth could live in the same cabin—something Rachel Elizabeth Dare later tells PIper that Annabeth reciprocates. Throughout The Mark of Athena, they begin to build a friendship in earnest, including the beginning of the two them constantly stealing each other's breakfasts as a running private joke, and Piper mentioning that she'd "never had a better friend" than Annabeth. 
It is said in the The House of Hades that Hazel and Piper shared some tears about Annabeth after she and Percy fell into Tartarus thanks to Arachne. When Annabeth returns from Tartarus and reunites with the rest of the Seven, Piper is the first one to tearfully hug her.
In The Blood of Olympus, Annabeth and Piper take to looking to each other for advice after since their experience with Mimas, which taught them how to tackle problems together from two different sides; Annabeth being the logical thinker with a knack for tactics, while Piper was more emotionally intuitive, going with her gut and sometimes against apparent logic. As a result, both of them were either a highly effective team, or hopelessly confused.
Relationship to Canon
Pipabeth shippers often point to several significant moments throughout canon as evidence for the viability of their ship, particularly the several comments made from MoA onwards by Annabeth and Piper about how close they've become so quickly, as well as the recurring elements pointing to the strong chemistry between the two characters—namely, the stealing of each other's breakfasts along with Piper being the first to hug Annabeth post-return from Tartarus—which was interpreted as potentially romantic by shippers.
After The Blood of Olympus was released, some fan writers have chosen to either ignore BoO completely in their work—particularly some writers who were among the part of the fandom leveling criticism at the way Riordan had chosen to end the series—or write their way around the ending, and the widely assumed future marriage of Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase, along with the death of Jason Grace after Piper broke up with him in canon between the series The Trials of Apollo beginning and the ending of The Blood of Olympus.
In October 2016, there was a Pipabeth Week. Each day, fans were prompted to post thoughts on the pairing. This continued in May 2017, being held this time by LGBTQ+ PJO Network who started their first week of a 4k ship month with Pipabeth.
- I mean, I drew the Jercy and Reynabeth hugs so naturally Pipabeth has to be done too by minuiko
- She pulled Annabeth forward until their foreheads touched. by fredrosesart
- Piper’s dad hires a new pool girl AU by radycat
- annabeth quits target the next day by brakstr
- they love each other too much so they need to insult each other almost all the time to maintain the balance by cherryandsisters
- Annabeth’s abs are probably in most of Piper’s selfies by linaisbluepancake
- tell ur boyfriend if he says he’s got beef that i’m a vegetarian and i ain’t fucking scared of him by cindersart
- When a Wise Girl Goes to War by Takara Phoenix
- what happens next by Radycat
- Strawberry Kisses by pipabeth
- Kissing the Witch by nikkiRA
- these words are my diary screaming out loud by lesbabeths
- Unforgettable by oldasyouromens
- and it's christmas (so no one can fix it) by phoebebags
- Piper x Annabeth by Helena De Spell
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Amicable Exes - Especially in post-The Blood of Olympus works, it's fairly common for Percy/Annabeth and Jason/Piper to have broken up, but still have Annabeth and Piper be fairly close with their respective exes. Also usually intersects with Annabeth and/or Piper coming the realization that they are bisexual, pansexual, or a lesbian.
- Mortal AU - Also referred to as 'All Human', 'No Powers', or 'High School/University/College AU', where Annabeth and Piper meet via a shared class or similar daily life scenario.
- Pining - Who, exactly, is doing the pining is fairly close to 50-50 or 40-60 (Possibly in favor of Piper) across fanfiction.
- Practice Kissing - While more often than not a set up for something explicit, this is also a fairly common trope for Annabeth and Piper getting together, when one of them wants to 'fix' something with their kissing/sexual prowess, and asks the other for help as a child of the goddess of wisdom or goddess of love.