Agent With Style
|Name:||Agent With Style|
|URL:||Agent With Style|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Agent With Style is one of the biggest zine publishers and zine agent in fandom. It is run by Mysti Frank.
Agent With Style continues to be the subject of regular controversies and disgruntled muttering from long-time zine fans. However, her site is easy to find and order from, and she advertises widely, so many newbies first find zines through her. Some fans feel she gives zines a bad name; others feel she provides a valuable service.
Controversy Regarding Profit
Agent With Style makes a lot of money selling zines, and the amount of profit she makes has been called into question on several occasions.
In 2003, there were complaints about unauthorized publication of fan fiction, unauthorized editing of submitted stories, bootleg print runs of agented zines, and the production value of the zines themselves.     
In 2011: [was something deleted here?]
Other Reactions and Reviews
- "Agent with Style... Yes, she's a wee bit pricey, but she is reliable and agents for a lot of people and for several fandoms; I think it's worth paying the extra for the convenience of credit card payment to abroad and the certainty of getting your zines." 
- "As regards Agent With Style I've used them several times and found them to be prompt. It's a way to get zines otherwise not available, and to be honest I don't find their prices too bad. The normal price for K/S zines from the various publishers is $26/$28, and AWS's media zines run from $19 - $30, so it's much the same. Perhaps someone not used to paying $26 regularly for zines might be shocked but I've done it in K/S for so many years AWS doesn't seem overpriced." 
- "There are a number of truly bad things that have been and are being said about Agent With Style zine publications. I've never used them to publish a zine myself so I can't confirm or deny any of those accusations. However, there is one thing I'm forced to agree with after years of buying their zines: the person who does the editing for AWS is in love with epithets. It's exceedingly rare to get an AWS zine without the stories being over-filled with "the other man," "the blond man," "the shorter man," etc. This is something that I can't stand to read..." 
- comments made on FCA-L, March 2003, accessed November 14, 2008
- PSA about zine publisher accessed November 14, 2008, a copy is archived here
- Public Service Announcement accessed November 14, 2008 (locked when trying to access on August 10, 2012)
- Public Service Announcement Bandwagon accessed November 14, 2008 ("According to the people we know who attended the first convention [my zine] was available at, Mysti sold out of that first run of the zine at the con. According to the report I got back, she sold two copies of it. And continued to sell two here and three there at different cons for the next year, while the reports of people [we] knew who attended those cons indicated that she was selling enough of them to make up three or four print runs, rather than the one run we had agreed to. Also, the zines she was selling were really *badly* photocopied and bound rip-offs of the master I had sent her, not a true printing.)"
- Dear Disreputable Zine Publisher accessed November 19, 2008, a copy is archived here
- Psychic Serpent Live Journal, accessed 5.11.2011 ("I just got off the phone with a lawyer friend of mine who is sending a cease-and-desist letter to AWS on my behalf, inasmuch as I did not authorize them to print the zines (I was never given the opportunity, as [Agent With Style] never sent me the files they claimed they would);" WebCite.
- from DIAL #14
- from DIAL #16
- Confessions of a Former Zine Slut/WebCite