The Breakfast Club
|Name:||The Breakfast Club|
|Creator:||Universal Pictures, John Hughes|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Breakfast Club is a 1985 teen comedy/drama film that is considered one of the best of the "Brat Pack" films from the 1980s. The plot concerns five high school students from different social cliques (a jock [ Emilio Estevez as Andrew Clark], a brain [Anthony Michael Hall as Brian Johnson], a rebel [Judd Nelson as John Bender], a princess [Molly Ringwald as Claire Standish] and a [Ally Sheedy as Allison Reynolds]) spending a Saturday in detention for different reasons and how they come to bond and understand each other.
Fanworks commonly reference the archetypes of "a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal" that the group identified by at the end of the film. Slash usually takes place at least ten years in the future.
Notable Fan Works
- Higher Education by Resonant on Ao3. John Bender/Brian Johnson, post-canon.
John Bender gets a life.
- Fifteen Detentions by Kaneko on Ao3. John Bender/Brian Johnson.
Vernon stared at him for a long moment. He turned his face up to the ceiling. "I count one- two- three-" His mouth moved silently. "Fifteen more Saturdays. Plus the one you still owe me." Bender made a noise that maybe sounded like a laugh, and felt like rage. "Whatever," he tried to say.
- Lysistrata 2.0 by HugeAlienPie on Ao3. John Bender/Brian Johnson, post-canon.
Even if Brian could trace all the steps, pinpoint all the decisions and actions that led them to this moment, where he sits in an office in the Illinois Capitol Building while John Bender--who is his actual, legal husband, after years of domestic partnership bullshit and longer with no legal standing whatsoever--fails to stay awake in their Springfield apartment...even if he could do that, he doubts it would lessen his sense of wonder at how it's played out.
- Just About Anything by reserve on Ao3. John Bender/Brian Johnson.
If x is anything, then how many times will Brian have to remind himself to breathe before he calculates that anything is also him?
- The Supper Club by Kaneko on Ao3. John Bender/Andrew Clark, post-canon.
In school years, which were kind of like dog years, Andy and Allison still only lasted about five minutes.
- On AO3
On AO3, everybody gets paired with everybody else.
Breakfast Club AU
Breakfast Club AUs are a fusion crossover, in effect. They involve a group of characters being placed in a scenario following the film's plot. Depending on how dissimilar the canons are, these works are typically High School AUs, Mundane AUs, or whatever is necessary to strip the plot down to focus on the character interactions. The are mildly or significantly altered to fit the archetypes of the original group.
AU fanart placing characters in the roles of the group in the film's iconic poster is also popular.
- The Athlete & The Criminal by damnfancyscotch - Teen Wolf, Derek Hale/Stiles Stilinski. Summary: “What’re you doing here, Stilinski? Did you only score half the winning points at the last lacrosse game instead of all of them?” Stiles snorts and says, “I thought you were locked up, Hale.” Derek huffs a laugh and drawls, “Not quite yet.”
- Saturday Detention by FallingLikeThis - One Direction. Summary: Five boys with nothing in common end up together in Saturday detention. Maybe if they can get past their first impressions, they’ll realize they're not as different as they thought.
- Sincerely Yours by quinnlocke - Haikyuu, Akaashi Keiji/Bokuto Koutarou, Kozume Kenma/Kuroo Tetsurou. Summary: Saturday detention isn’t normally a place you go in order to find the answers to your problems. It’s where you go when you’ve fucked up bad enough you have to lose an entire Saturday to make up for what you’ve done.The Prince and The Criminal were caught cutting class. The Outsider cursed out his Shakespeare professor. The Jock and The Brain got into a fist fight.And the Birthday Boy, he’s not even supposed to be here...
- Don't You (Forget About Me) by GW99 - IT (2017), Eddie Kaspbrak/Richie Tozier, Bill Denbrough/Stanley Uris. Summary: Seven kids are brought together by Saturday detention. Through a series of confessions, they become closer than ever.
- Don't You Forget About Me by Crazyloststar, Thirsty_YuuChan, Vixenfur - Owari no Seraph. Summary: Saturday… September 24, 1984. Dear Mr. Ichinose… we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was that we did wrong. What we did was wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write this essay telling you who we think we are, what do you care? You see us as you want to see us… in the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athlete, a vampiric freak, a princess, and to top it off, two criminals. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at nine o'clock this morning. We were brainwashed...
- Sincerely Yours by satellites (brella) - Young Justice (Cartoon). Summary: Six strangers with nothing in common, except each other. Before the day was over, they broke the rules, bared their souls, and touched each other in a way they never dreamed possible. A Breakfast Club AU.