Fandom RPG vs Roleplay
- My first thought was that this is an article about the type of roleplay where players actually meet in person, place their writing equipment or recording device on the table and start to spin their yarn. This is probably bc I found the entry through this page: Hyperspace (see intro) where this apparently was the case.
- I agree this page needs a cleanup, so I put the template up. --SecurityBreach (talk) 10:57, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
- The Fandom RPG page covers a lot of things that I feel like would just be needlessly repeated here, and there's already a separate page for LARP. To me, I feel like unless this page can cover something different, I'm not sure if it's worth it to have this split from the Fandom RPG page. I might even suggest blanking any repeated info here, moving the Fandom RPG info to here (so we just have one "Roleplay" page) and deleting the empty Roleplay RPG page after that. But that's just if there isn't enough of a difference to warrant a separation of pages. Patchlamb (talk) 15:30, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
- Yes, I agree most of the information on online RPG could be removed bc it can already be found on Fandom RPG. Merging the pages could be an option, too, although I'm not 100% sure. Considering the number of platforms for online RPG and the size of the phenomenon, I feel it makes sense to have a seperate page for offline RPG. It has to be made sufficiently clear in the intro though which is currently not the case. --SecurityBreach (talk) 15:55, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
- Looking at the history, looks like this page was initially a re-direct to Role-Playing Game. There's also Tabletop RPG. So looks like there might already be a page for offline RP, as well. What about making this page a disambiguation for all those pages instead? Patchlamb (talk) 18:21, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
- There is RPG, a page that looks pretty much like a disambiguation to me, but somehow isn't. But the discussion on the Talk:RPG page is quite interesting in this context. I took a look at Celebrity RPG (yes, that exists too) and now I'm even less sure how to deal with the issue. --SecurityBreach (talk) 10:11, 23 April 2021 (UTC)
- My first thought is to agree that this should be a disambiguation page - while RPers online will often refer to their form of roleplay just as ‘roleplay’, that’s not the only context where the term can be used, and it’s just too vague to be useful as the name of an article on one specific type of roleplay, I feel.
- But RPG could be a good disambiguation page too, and there’s no use having two. While I’m still not in favour of having the Fandom RPG page being renamed to ‘Roleplay’ due to the vagueness issue, perhaps ‘Roleplay’ could redirect to that page instead? Especially if we rename Fandom RPG to simply RP, which is much more specific to that type of roleplaying. That leaves RPG to become a disambiguation page for all our roleplay and RPG related articles. --Lachless (talk) 23:38, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
- In re renaming Fandom RPG to RP: I'm sorry, but where you read 'role play' I read 'real person', so I'm in favour of keeping the name even though it might look a tad longish to you.
- Good point! I completely forgot that RP could stand for that too. Although my issue with ‘Fandom RPG’ isn’t its length, more that it isn’t usually called that by roleplayers - but that’s an issue being discussed on Talk:Fandom RPG already, I just brought it up here because it was relevant to my point discussing what we do with this page.