|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Stage Gay refers to the behaviour of (male) singers while performing for an audience. Some bands--from Bandom to K-pop to J-pop--play up homoerotic tension onstage as a form of fanservice: "“Stage gay” is exactly what it sounds like, a reference, either veiled or explicit, to homosexuality for the purposes of publicity or awareness."
- For fans, the appeal seems to transcend the purely visceral appeal of watching two hot guys lick the sweat out of each other’s mouths (om nom nom). In a society which remains stubbornly heterosexually centered, those who play with sexuality are admirable in their rebellion. Ironically, exhibiting traditional heterosexual love now seems distinctly N*Sync-worthy: today’s teenage rebels sans a cause pledge allegiance to rockers who present themselves in a fashion generally disapproved of by the average mom. Despite this, to raise the subject with the band itself is to invite deadpan stares or resigned laughter: although they take advantage of it, they simply don’t understand the allure. 
Bandom's Stagegay Wank
2007 saw a round of stagegay wank in Bandom, started by phaballa's post:
- Playacting the Gay by phaballa on livejournal (September 5, 2007)
- Response to phaballa's "Playacting the Gay" post by ficbyzee on livejournal (September 5, 2007)
- On the subject of stagegay by kalpurna (September 5, 2007)
- Gladys would not approve of these shenanigans by quettaser, includes a link roundup (September 6, 2007)
- "fake gay"? discussion at weemo_closet (September 6, 2007)
- STAGE GAY WANK writup at fandom_wank (September 6, 2007)
- oh I got lipstick all over our keyboard player!, Archived version by electricwitch (2008-05-19)
- A word on stagegay by jedusaur on dreamwidth (September 7, 2011)
- Hagen, R. (2015). “Bandom Ate My Face”: The Collapse of the Fourth Wall in Online Fan Fiction. Popular Music and Society, 38(1), 44-58.