Sleeping Beauty (fairy tale)
|Date(s):||1697 (Perrault), 1959 (Disney)|
|Medium:||fairy tales, animated film|
|Country of Origin:||France|
|External Links:||Sleeping Beauty at Wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Sleeping Beauty is a classic fairy tale first published by Charles Perrault in 1697 and popularized by the 1959 Disney film adaption. Other variants of the tale include "Sun, Moon, and Talia" by Giambattista Basile, the work Perrault originally based his story on, and "Little Briar Rose", published by the Brothers Grimm in 1812.
Aurora is often cited as fans' least-liked Disney princess, mostly because she is "boring" and we don't see much in the way of personality. An article at Nerve.com ranks Aurora as the "least feminist" Disney princess in part for many of these same reasons.
Maleficent, however, is a popular villain, and Maleficent/Aurora enemyslash is somewhat popular. In crossovers, Aurora is frequently paired with other Disney princesses, and Prince Phillip is sometimes slashed with other princes.
- Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty Trilogy, a BDSM fantasy series
- Robin McKinley's Spindle's End, a YA retelling of the fairytale, published in 2000
- Maleficent appears in Season One of Once Upon a Time, and Prince Phillip and Princess Aurora (who is the daughter of the first Sleeping Beauty) both appear for the first time in Season Two  and is featured several times throughout the season and has also appeared in Season 3.
- Maleficent is a primary antagonist in the video game Kingdom Hearts, and Aurora, Phillip, Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather all make appearances.
- Briar Rose is a character in the Vertigo comic book series Fables
- Maleficent, Aurora, Phillip, the three fairies, and King Stefan all appear in Maleficent (2014), which is a live-action reimaging of Disney's 1959 film where Maleficent is the main character.
- Sleeping Beauty (movie) at FanFiction.net
- Sleeping Beauty - All Media Types & Sleeping Beauty (1959) at AO3
- Waking by Dira Sudis -- written for Yuletide 2011
- Building the Castle of Roses by Luzula -- an sf re-envisioning from Yuletide 2012
- Maleficence: n., harmfulness or mischief by elfhawk3 What Disney doesn't tell you is there is no such thing as a good fairy. Words: 1938
- The Seed Of A Forest by Luzula - I would never forgive the humans for what they had done. Words:1866
- Arouse and Arouse by casper He wishes to awaken the princess with a certain kiss. Words:417 Pairing: Aurora/Phillip. Mature Content
- For example, see responses to the "Princess Challenge" on Tumblr.
- Once Upon A Time Season 1 Episode 2 "The Thing You Love Most" and Episode 22 "A Land Without Magic"
- Once Upon A Time Season 2 Episode 1 "Broken"
- Once Upon A Time Season 3 Episode 1 "The Heart of the Truest Believer"
- Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Season 1 Episode 3 "Forget Me Not"