|Creator:||Ed Decter, based on The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare|
|Date(s):||January 12, 2016 – present|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||Official Freeform site|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
- Clary Fray has just enrolled at Brooklyn Academy of Arts. On her eighteenth birthday, she learns that she is a Shadowhunter, a human born with angelic blood who protect humans from demons. That night, Clary's mother, Jocelyn, is abducted by a group of rogue Shadowhunters called the Circle. Their leader is Jocelyn's ex-husband, Valentine Morgenstern.
- With her mother missing, Clary turns to Luke, a person she trusted, only to seemingly be betrayed. Clary joins up with a band of Shadowhunters to save her mother and discovers powers she never knew she possessed. Clary is thrown into the world of demon hunting with the mysterious, narcissistic, and attractive Shadowhunter Jace, and also her loyal and geeky friend Simon. Now living among faeries, warlocks, vampires, and werewolves, Clary begins a journey of self-discovery as she learns more about her past and what her future may hold.
The fandom controversy between book and series fans focuses on the different adaptation choices made by the series. Cassandra Clare is also often an outspoken opponent of the series, tweeting criticism of Ed Decter and the cast. In spite of her call for fandom unity, fans continue to the age old debate of book vs. adaptation..
- In 2016, Shadowhunters was ranked forth in the Top 20 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr.
- In 2017, Shadowhunters ranked third in the Top 20 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr, gaining one spot in popularity from the previous year
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- All Human AU: were none of the characters have magical abilities and there are no demons
- Hurt/Comfort: characters helping each other after traumatic events
- Crossovers: with other fandoms that contain magical elements, the most popular being Teen Wolf Another crossover is Shadowhunters/Harry Potter universe.
Common pairings include:
- Clary Fray/Jace Wayland
- Alec Lightwood/Magnus Bane
- Isabelle Lightwood/Simon Lewis
- Maia Roberts/Jordan Kyle
- Jocelyn Fray/Luke Garroway
- Maia Roberts/Bat Velasquez
- Maia Roberts/Simon Lewis
- Clary Fray/Sebastian Morgenstern
- Clary Fray/Simon Lewis
- Jace Herondale/Alec Lightwood
- Emma Carstairs/Julian Blackthorn
- Helen Blackthorn/Aline Penhallow
- Rapheal Santiago/Simon Lewis
- Mark Blackthorn/Kieran
- Clary Fray/Isabelle Lightwood
- Raphael Santiago/Isabelle Lightwood
Show Cancellation and Fan Campaign
In June 2018 Freeform announced it would not renew the show for another season. The fandom mobilized in hopes the show will be picked up. They created trending Twitter hashtags #SaveShadowhunters, #SavetheShadowWorld, and #pickupshadowhunters in addition to posting hourly to boost trending hashtags. This came as a particular blow to the fandom as it was cancelled during Pride Month.
The campaign was met with some backlash from the Cloak & Dagger and The Bold Type fandoms as fans often replied to any tweets made by Freeform promoting other shows with the #SaveShadowhunters hashtag, including Cloak & Dagger and The Bold Type. It was noted that both shows have a diverse cast that often deal with important social and societal issues, making many fans irritated by the campaign hijacking any post about them. Shadowhunters fans went on to try and address this problem as well as asking others to delete any tweets replying to Cloak & Dagger and The Bold Type.
- Clary and Jace. by martastab
- “Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack” by shirmir
- Maia from Shadowhunters :) an absolute badass. by lulusketches
- I saw a man so beautiful today I started crying by su-pectrum
- Shadowhunters wikipedia
- , Electric Boogaloo
- Cassandra Clare and Fandom Unite
- 2016′s Top TV Shows - Live Action
- 2017′s Top Live-Action TV Shows
- Reminder to everyone that Cloak & Dagger and The Bold Type do not deserve our anger. Be mindful of the Tweets you comment on, as some address important topics.