|Pairing:||Klaus Mikaelson/Hayley Marshall|
|Canonical?:||yes: one night stand, they have a child together|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The pairing of Klaus/Hayley is a common canon ship in The Originals fandom. Their relationship began in season 4 of Vampire Diaries, as somewhat antagonistic. Hayley was working with Tyler Lockwood against Klaus to free his hybrids from his Sire Bond. Hayley then double crossed Tyler and told Klaus about the hybrids' plan to kill him - because of that he allowed her to live. Later that same season, they had a one night stand that resulted in Hayley getting pregnant with their child.
When both of them crossed over to The Originals, they developed a certain repor that the fans and the writers like to refer to as a love/hate relationship.
After the birth of their daughter and Hayley's change into a hybrid, their relationship shifted into more of a companionship, with antagonistic moments.
A lot of fans quote similarities between Klaus and Hayley (their werewolf gene, their temperament, abandonment issues) as some of the reasons the pairing works for them so well.
Initially, the pairing was met with a lot of negative reactions, due to the popularity of the Klaroline ship and the fans seemed to divide to a point of a ship war. Klayley ship was accused of being forced and manufactured and a lot of character bashing and actor bashing took place.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Hope Mikaelson and the notion of family often play an important (and integral) part in any fanworks connected to the pairing
- Little wolf is a pet name Klaus uses when addressing Hayley on the show (only used in positive situations) that a lot of fans adopted and use it as a proof of his affections for her.
He also has a special nick name for her, “little wolf” instead of the cheap nicknames he uses to flirt with any girl.
- Werewolves usually play a big part in fanworks
- A Moth to a Flame by mmystic. Hayley has finally found someone who could shed some light on where she came from but is drawn away back into New Orleans and realizes what has happened to the father of her child.
- Bonded by cloudcomet. Klaus' late night thoughts as he watches Hayley sleep.
- Always & Forever After by 225Starburst. Hayley came to New Orleans to find her family only to find out that she is pregnant with Klaus' child from the night they spent together in Mystic Falls. Follow her on her journey as she tries to figure out what to do next and how the relationship between her and Klaus will evolve.
- Metal Heart by quietemergency. She had been running her whole life to find her family, while he spent his entire life demanding to create his own. How strange that they should get exactly what they wanted, even when they never wanted each other.
- The Little Wolf and the Hybrid by muserley274. Hayley is shocked to find out she is pregnant. Klaus declaring that he has no interest in her or their baby hurts her. Heart broken she eventually finds herself sharing a home with him, with drama, war, a difficult pregnancy and an undeniable connection between the two parents, you will witness love in its most imperfect yet true form.
- how do wolves signal their location to the rest of their pack? by slintsheads
- He will be her mentor by Martin, season 2 fan-made poster
- Klayley edit by CindyLuvsYu, fanmade season 2 poster
- You will return to us by (author unknown), season 2 fan-poster with Hope
- Klayley manip by kristina-fox
- Here With Me by MsSweetSerialKiller
- Mirrors by xXWhisperOfDreamsXx
- The One That Got Away by MelitheChaine, an AU story
- 51 Reasons To Ship Klaus + Hayley by The Reader Dreams, a ship manifesto
Archives and Communities
- Hayley Marshall/Klaus Mikaelson tag on AO3
- klaus x hayley tag on Tumblr
- klayley tag on Tumblr
- Fuck Yeah Klaus and Hayley blog on Tumblr
- Reasons to love Klayley, accessed December 11, 2014.