|Relationships:|| Fitzwilliam Darcy (husband)|
Jane, Mary, Kitty & Lydia (sisters), Mr & Mrs Bennet (parents), William Collins (cousin), Mr & Mrs Gardiner (uncle & aunt), Charlotte Lucas (friend)
|Fandom:||Pride and Prejudice|
|Other:||Over the years notably played by Greer Garson, Curigwen Lewis, Madge Evans, Elizabeth Garvie, Jennifer Ehle, Keira Knightley, Ashley Clements and many more.|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Elizabeth Bennet is the female lead in Pride and Prejudice.
Representing the 'prejudice' aspect of the title, Elizabeth overhears Darcy snub her on first meeting and forms a passionate dislike for him, fuelled by his callous behaviour towards her sister and her boyfriend. She rejects one of the worst proposals in the history of literature, only to fall in love with him when she
sees how grand his estate is realises he was Tragically Misunderstood all along.
She is twenty, the second of five daughters, and has particularly close relationships with her elder sister, Jane, her father, her aunt & uncle, Mr & Mrs Gardiner, and her older friend, Charlotte Lucas. Her family call her Lizzy; friends call her Eliza.
Elizabeth/Darcy is by far the dominant pairing, though occasional stories include past relationships with other characters. There's no clear secondary partner, with other partners including Colonel Fitzwilliam, George Wickham, William Collins & Charles Bingley in het and Charlotte Lucas in femslash.
Fanon makes Elizabeth dark-haired & voluptuous in appearance; nothing is known of her colouring from the novel other than that she has dark eyes and tans, while her figure is 'light'. In personality, fanon-Elizabeth is often book-Elizabeth but more so, for example more lively than would be tolerated in polite Regency society. She is often portrayed as a skilled pianist; in the novel, Mary is more technically proficient, though Elizabeth has superior taste. The difference in class and income between Elizabeth's family and Darcy is sometimes exaggerated.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
Elizabeth is almost ubiquitous in P&P fanfiction and so the tropes in Elizabeth-centric stories are similar to those found in P&P fanfiction overall (see that article). In canon-divergent AUs, she is sometimes posited to be an illegitimate or lost offspring of the Darcy or de Bourgh families. The death of Mr Bennet, either before canon or early during the novel, is often a precipitating event for her entering an arranged marriage with Darcy, usually to stave off her family's poverty. Aside from the usual Regency mishaps, rape by Wickham is a cause for her entering into a forced marriage with Darcy. Moderns often make her artistic or musical.
- The Sins of the Fathers by Jan H. Oft-discussed work, now no longer on the web, that posits Elizabeth is an illegitimate child of the Darcys (~2002)
- A Singular Proposition by Tanya. AU in which Elizabeth takes the position of Georgiana's companion, after Mr Bennet's early death, and a Brontëesque romp ensues (2003)
- Excessively Attentive by JessicaS. Elizabeth is the de Bourghs' long-lost daughter (2008)
- The End is Where We Start From by Shem/Shemmelle. Elizabeth is widowed after 20 years of marriage to an OC (2008–9)
- Lieutenant Bennet's Visit by Beatrice Otter. Crossover with Temeraire (2010)
- Elizabeth Bennet by palnk. Digital art (2008)
- Pride and Prejudice by ellaine. Pencil sketch with digital colours of the scene where Darcy snubs Elizabeth; a very popular Elizabeth not based on any film (2008)
- Elizabeth Bennet by yellowis4happy. Pencil sketch; based on Keira Knightley (2008)
- Elizabeth Bennet by ivanev. Digital art, based on Pride and Prejudice with Zombies (2010)
- Elizabeth Bennet by nanorph. Stylised (2011)
- Elizabeth Bennet by kyoumei. Anime-style digital art (2011)
- Elizabeth Bennet by missmuffin90. Coloured pencils; based on Keira Knightley (2011)
- Pride and Prejudice by phoenix132. Pencil portrait based on Keira Knightley (2012)
- Elizabeth Bennet by dreamswoman. Photomanipulation (2014)
- I never thought I'd be defending this . . . by Anghraine. On the question of whether Elizabeth loves Darcy (2009)
- Elizabeth, Family & Random Speculation by Anghraine. On Elizabeth's attitude to her family (2009)