|See also:||DVD Commentary Challenge|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Within the context of fanac, a DVD Commentary is usually a written commentary or gloss that accompanies a given piece of fanfiction. The commentary can be written by the story's author or beta reader, or by another fan.
DVD commentaries were first initiated in 2004 by lise and sandy the older in popslash fandom. Originally, DVD commentaries were written and initiated by the author of the fic; many of the first commentaries were posted to author sites.
In 2006, the DVD Commentary Challenge was started.
Outside of fandom, the term DVD commentary or audio commentary refers to an extra audio track on a DVD where one or more actors, writers, or directors discuss the film or show as it plays.
This general meaning of the term is also important to media fans; these commentary tracks provide an additional source of canon information, particularly for RPF fandoms. Phrases gleaned from DVD commentaries can also become part of fannish vocabulary: examples include Tigging and David Hewlett, How Are You So Awesome?.
(vidder commentary both written and voiced-over the vid)
The more typical vidder commentary comes in the form of vidder's text notes, usually accompanying the vid's streaming or download location. Many fans find these notes helpful:
- "I love vidder notes, and wish more vidders would put up notes when they post vids online, or make them available with vid tapes/DVDs. I like reading notes that provide info on the vid itself (fandom relevant info, intent behind vid, technical aspects) as well as the process of vidding itself. I tend to read notes after first watching a vid, but I make it a point to always read vidder notes when available. Sometimes notes add new dimensions to the vid, making me go back and look for things that I might have overlooked on first viewing. Other times, they may reinforce my particular "reading" as it were. Sometimes notes help me understand how a particular vidder approaches the creation of a vid, and the topic of creativity is one that interests me a great deal."
Some Fic DVD Commentary Examples
- Speranza's Kowalski Is Bleeding DVD Commentary Track
- Fearless Diva's Tissue of Silver commentaries.
- a fan's commentary for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Give or Take) by Merry is here
- bossymarmalade, great artists are always trying new things, like michelangelo or shaquille o'neal, January 15, 2004 (Accessed September 30, 2008)
- Sarah T, Writer's Commentary on Immanence, January 21, 2004 (Accessed September 30, 2008)
- LC, Untitled, November 27, 2005 (Accessed September 30, 2008)
- Te, Audience Commentary: "Little Brother," by Petra, November 30, 2005 (Accessed September 30, 2008)
- taverymate's comment in the "vid-of-the-week concept - Vidder notes' thread on the vidder mailing list dated Jan 4, 2004, quoted with permission."