Constantine (TV series)
|Creator:||Daniel Cerone & David S. Goyer|
Based on the character created by Alan Moore, Stephen R. Bissette, John Totleben & Rick Veitch
|Date(s):||October 24, 2014 - February 13, 2015|
|Medium:||Live-action TV series|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Constantine on Wikipedia, Official Tumblr|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In May 2014, it was announced that NBC had officially picked up Constantine TV series starring Matt Ryan as the titular character and would premiere sometime in Fall 2014 on Fridays after Grimm.
- John Constantine
- Zed Martin - A psychic artist who finds Constantine and joins him.
- Chas Chandler - Constantine’s oldest friend and staunch companion who possesses powerful survival skills.
- Manny - an angel assigned to watch over Constantine
The fandom started growing immediately after its announcement and the release of the trailer. Thanks to first show trailer, the fandom started to steadily grow, with fanfiction being posted to AO3 and various fanworks such as picspams and gifs posted to Tumblr.
The news of John Constantine's sexuality in the new series, that of the character being straight, has also sparked controversy with many fans backlashing Tumblr and Twitter flooded the websites with the hashtag #BiBlazer  in response to show their support of John being a bisexual character.
After the release of the pilot episode, many fans were disappointed in losing Lucy Griffiths's character - Liv Aberdine - having liked her character or her relationship with John. The Liv character was written out of the series after the PTB wanted to take another turn and created an original character, Zed Martin. Zed also garnered some fan appreciation, usually pairing her up with John in some fanworks.
See also: List of Arrowverse Relationship Names
The show was canceled but fans created a fan campaign, Save Constantine to bring the show back. The petition has over 32k signatures. Although the show has yet to be reinstated, John Constantine (portrayed by Matt Ryan) joined the Arrow show in the fourth season for an episode - creating an official crossover which excited many fans. Many fans hope that he appears again, if not on the next season of Legends of Tomorrow, than on Arrow again. Later in the season, Constantine is briefly mentioned by John Diggle who asks why Oliver Queen doesn't ask Constantine for help against Damien Darhk only for Oliver to state that he's in "hell".
It was announced in January 2017 that Constantine will be returning as an animated series by CW Seed. Matt Ryan will be reprising the role as the character's voice actor. Constantine: City of Demons is a web series that premiered on CW Seed on March 24, 2018. Originally, the series was set to take place within the Arrowverse as a continuation of the canceled NBC series. However, it contains significant continuity changes and inconsistencies and has been confirmed that this series is actually set in the world of the animated movie Justice League Dark.
Legends Of Tomorrow
John Constantine appeared on Season 3 of Legends of Tomorrow in four episodes and was mentioned in several others. In Spring 2018 it was announced that the character was promoted to series regular for Season 4 of the series.
- Constantine by VinRoc
- John Constantine by LindaMarieAnson
- John Constantine by Epistafy
- Constantine - #SaveZed by Kumagorochan
Archives and Fannish Links
- Breaking News: Constantine's Getting a Series. Tim Beedle at Vertigo. Published May 8, 2014. (Accessed 12 May 2014)
- TV ALERT: Constantine Gets a Trailer. Tim Beedle at DC Comics. Published May 12, 2014. (Accessed 12 May 2014)
- NBC Says Title Character Of 'Constantine' Is Straight. Fans Disagree. The Huffington Post. Posted July 17, 2014. (Accessed 14 September 2014)
- Arrow Season 4 Episode 5 "Haunted"
- Constantine: City of Demons at Arrowverse Wiki
- Matt Ryan To Join ‘DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow’ As Series Regular For Season 4 (March 2018)