|Also Known As:||Clarence John Brown III|
|Occupation:||Actor, Voice Actor|
|Medium:||Film, TV, Video Games|
|Works:||Buckaroo Banzai, Highlander, SpongeBob SquarePants, Thor: Ragnarok|
|Official Website(s):||Twitter, Instagram|
|Fan Website(s):||The Clancy Brown Appreciation Society on Facebook|
|On Fanlore:||Related pages|
Clancy Brown is a popular character actor known for portraying such a huge range of roles that he's almost ubiquitous. As Clancy puts it on his social media profile: "The guy on that show and in that game. Also in some movies."
He is often cast as the villain (Kurgan in Highlander) or an authoritarian figure (Sgt. Zim in Starship Troopers), but can also play the best and most reasonable of men (Rawhide in Buckaroo Banzai). Taking into account both his live-action work and his voice work for animated shows and video games, he is one of the few actors who has worked across the majority of the well-known media franchises.
- The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984), as Rawhide
- Highlander film (1986), as Kurgan
- The Shawshank Redemption (1994), as Captain Hadley
- Starship Troopers (1997), as Sgt. Zim
- Superman: The Animated Series (1996-2000) and other instances, as Lex Luthor (voice)
- Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex video game (2001), as Dr. Neo Cortex / Uka Uka (voice)
- Star Trek: Enterprise episode "Desert Crossing" (2002), as Zobral
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004) and other instances, as Mr. Krabs (voice)
- Carnivàle (2003-2005), as Brother Justin Crowe
- Cowboys & Aliens (2011), as Meacham
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2011-2013), as Savage Opress (voice) and others
- The Flash (2014-2015), as General Wade Eiling
- Thor: Ragnarok (2017), as Surtur (voice)
- Detroit: Become Human video game (2018), as Hank Anderson (voice)
- The Mandalorian episode "The Prisoner" (2019), as Burg
- Tangled: The Series (2017-2020), as King Frederic
- Dexter: New Blood (2021-2022), as Kurt Caldwell
Support for Fan Activities
Anecdote with Evidence by Stew:
Back in the late 1990s, I received a book in the mail from a friend of mine. It was a mass market copy of Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein, which felt a bit random. When I opened it up, I found a message written in Sharpie on the inside front cover: To Julie (Stu). Keep writing, maybe something w/ Rawhide. Clancy Brown "Rawhide". OMG, I thought, he doesn't realise what I am known for writing about Rawhide! Which is, of course, Buckaroo/Rawhide slash.
My friend didn't include a note, so I promptly followed up with her via email. She had been Clancy's minder at a con while he was promoting the Starship Troopers film (1997), and she'd asked him whether he'd ever read any fanfiction. He replied that he had. She tentatively says that some of it... includes relationships that weren't originally intended... "I've read some of that, too!" he happily declares. She responds that she has a friend who writes that - and he says, "Pass me a book. I'll send her a message."
I've only ever shared this story with a few people, and without naming the actor involved, as I never would have brought up the subject with him myself back then - and I probably still wouldn't, to be honest. But I think we all deserve a "breaking the fourth wall" story that has a happy ending. And Clancy deserves kudos for being so open and supportive way back when. This little paperback (now discoloured with age) has been sitting in my writing reference shelf ever since, as a treasured and completely unexpected piece of encouragement.
Clancy, I did indeed keep writing.Julie (talk) 04:06, 11 June 2022 (UTC)
- "He's Vanished", Rawhide by Alfred Askew on DeviantArt
- "Kurgan" by stourangeau on DeviantArt
- "Mr Krabs Orange Lantern Mine Mine Mine" by nxalpha25 on DeviantArt
There are currently 18 works on AO3 tagged with Clancy Brown as a character. These all relate to the Detroit: Become Human (video game) fandom, and often pair him with actor Bryan Dechart who voices the playable character Connor. Most are written in Mandarin.
Other examples featuring his characters:
- "The Battle of the Budget" (Buckaroo Banzai), Rawhide in practical mode by notgeorgelucas on AO3
- "Tick Tock" (Carnivale), Justin Crowe/Ben Hawkins slash by SweetSorcery on AO3
- "One Hath Wounded Me, That's By Me Wounded" (Buckaroo Banzai / Highlander fusion), Kurgan/Buckaroo slash by stew on AO3