Category talk:Fandom Occurrences
Do recurring events go here? I'm wondering about blogging "occurrences" like IBARW, BADD, BLITEOTW, and so on. And NaNoWriMo, which isn't exactly fannish, but has plenty of fannish activity. They almost might fit under "conventions," except for the obvious point that they aren't conventions.
There are non-blogging recurring events, like house filks, but those are easier to compare to conventions. (Although they're still not conventions.) --Elfwreck 03:17, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- I think maybe those would fit under "Fandoms by Community" > "Fandoms by Source Community":
- "Fandoms by Source Community is for articles about fandoms that are not limited to a single text, but rather the community is formed around a common interest. Often this interest will be the medium produced by the community, or its origins will relate to the shared tastes of its members. For example, Media Fandom or Vidding Fandom. "
- They're basically fannish communities that form around a theme rather than a media source, so that seems to fit.
- And the first few also fit under "Fan Activities" > "Activism" for cross-categorizing (and NaNoWriMo fits under > "Fiction Writing"). --Arduinna 03:49, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
- But they're not "fandoms." Not even loosely. People don't identify themselves as "BLITEOTW bloggers," except for maybe the two weeks before BLITEOTW. IBARW bloggers might ID themselves as such, the rest of the time--but there's a huge number of participants who take part in the event, but don't spend any time with other IBARW bloggers.
- I'm wondering if there's a category for something like a non-physical convention. If it happened only once, it'd obviously be a "fandom occurrence" (unless that's going to be a euphemism for "fandom disaster").
- Huh, yeah, I see what you mean. Then maybe "Occurences" really is the way to go, along with the activism and writing. They do cause a fannish stir when they happen, even if it is a regular thing. (I think "fandom occurence" is the euphemism for "fandom disaster". *g* It's the neutral term that encompasses everything!) --Arduinna 04:14, 4 October 2008 (UTC)
This category was recently moved under a new category. I think we should move it back and delete the new category, though we could add Category:Chronology as a second parent to Fandom Occurrences? See talk page: Category talk:Fan History--aethel (talk) 18:28, 7 October 2021 (UTC)