|Pairing:||Himemiya Anthy/Tenjou Utena|
|Fandom:||Revolutionary Girl Utena|
|Canonical?:||yes, though more or less explicitly or ambiguously so depending on media|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Anthy/Utena is the central relationship in the medium-crossing series Revolutionary Girl Utena. The nature of the relationship as platonic or romantic is still strongly contested in some fandom circles, though in other circles, they are considered unambiguously canonically romantic. In canon, this ship revolves around themes of self-sacrifice and fairy tale tropes, and is represented by a floral motif.
Revolutionary Girl Utena is a 1997 anime (with manga, movie, and live-action adaptations) revolving around Utena, a popular, tomboyish school girl, and her acquaintance with Anthy through the school's duelling club and its hidden motivations. Its themes are frequently opaque and allegorical, as it serves to deconstruct classic fairy tales, and in particular the gender roles thereof. Part of the appeal of the pairing stems from the shifting roles of the two characters, which lend their relationship a certain ambiguity. Anthy acts as a gentle princess archetype with Utena as her white knight, but also has a darker hidden side which is gradually exposed, casting the relationship in a new light.
As a deconstruction, Utena and Anthy's canonical interaction uses many popular fannish tropes, such as Accidental Marriage, shared dormitory, school dances, crossdressing and others. For many fans, Utena/Anthy was their first femslash ship, or their first ship altogether.
- Some Utena by hamletmachine
- In 10 years, I hope we can still be drinking tea together like we are now by avaruuskala
- you misjudged me yesterday, and maybe you’ve misjudged me today, but i remain myself by 6-hours
- 輪舞revolution by かる
- Untangled by emilyenrose, "Rapunzel is lost to you. You will never see her again." The king's son was beside himself with pain, and in his despair he leapt down from the tower. He escaped with his life, but the thorns into which he fell pierced his eyes. Anthy searches the world for Utena Tenjou.
- Archimage Ao3 link by Jude, What happened to Utena after the end of the series?
- Seinen Kakumei Utena by gorgeousshutin, “The Revolution succeeded; it crumbled afterwards only because those whose lives got revolutionized did not follow up on the revolutionary success,” said the Bride, her words setting their closed hearts aflame. “This time, will you help us help you?”
- See this nsfw picspam and the comment that sparked it.