|Medium:||book; adapted for film, television|
|Country of Origin:||UK|
|External Links:||Wikipedia, Watership Down Wiki|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Watership Down is a small rarelit fandom, based on the children's novel about a group of anthropomorphised rabbits by Richard Adams, as well as its adaptations.
An animated film of the novel was released in 1978 and was relatively faithful to the novel. Its theme song 'Bright Eyes' by Art Garfunkel was a number one hit in the UK. A television series ran for three seasons in 1999-2001, with many changes from book canon to make it fluffier. Adams also completed a book of short stories, Tales from Watership Down (1996). It includes a dictionary of his invented language.
Watership Down is a much loved novel & film. It has generated a small amount of fanfiction. Stories at Yuletide & its New Year Resolutions challenge tend to be bookverse and of very high quality. Stories at fanfiction.net date back to 2000, and are often based in the television series.
Most stories are gen or non-explicit het. Popular themes include the story of the does, and further tales in the rabbit mythology involving the trickster El-ahrairah & the Black Rabbit of Inle, an incarnation of Death.
- Hombathlay by Jane Mailander -- fusion with The Professionals, from the zine Second Variation on the Theme of B and D (1999)
- Blackavar's Gift by Loganberry (2002-2003)
- Strong Yet Weak by KaptainSarcasm -- one of the first crop of Yuletide stories (2005)
- All the world will be your enemy, and when ever they catch you, they will kill you... by Rat Creature -- fanart fusion with Stargate Atlantis (2006)
- Bright Moon, Who Goes Farther Still by Hossgal (2007)
- The Story of Marli-Hrair and the Black Rabbit of Inle by Edonohana (2009)
- El-ahrairah and the Velveteen Rabbit by Isabeau. Crossover with Velveteen Rabbit (2013)
- Mixed Blessings by Astrokath. Dark futurefic (2014)
- Watership Down@AO3 -- 23 stories including Yuletide from 2009
- Watership Down@ff.net -- 164 stories
- Watership Down@Yuletide archive -- 10 stories from Yuletides 2005-2008