|Creator:||Steven Long Mitchell, Craig W. Van Sickle|
|Date(s):||1996-2000,2001 (tv movies)|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||at IMDb|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Pretender is an American action drama television series created by Steven Long Mitchell and Craig W. Van Sickle, that aired on NBC from September 19, 1996, to May 13, 2000. The series takes place in the same universe as "Profiler."
Two sequel television films that aired in 2001: The Pretender 2001 and The Pretender: Island of the Haunted. In 2013, creators Steven and Craig began updating the story with a series of books and graphic novels; the first, The Pretender: Rebirth, was published on October 7.
The series was inspired by serial impostor Ferdinand Waldo Demara.
The series follows Jarod, a young man who is a "Pretender", a genius impostor able to quickly master the complex skill sets necessary to impersonate a member of any profession. Being kidnapped as a child by The Centre, a sinister think tank located in the fictional Blue Cove, Delaware, who exploited his Pretender abilities.
Jarod is assigned to the care of a man named Sydney, a psychiatrist working for the Centre. But he escapes as an adult, and goes on the run. He is chased by a trio of Centre agents: Miss Parker, a Centre psychologist who raised Jarod; and Broots, a Centre computer expert.
In each episode, Jarod assumes a new professional identity (e.g., doctor, lawyer, soldier, pilot) to investigate a crime framed on someone else, and deliver justice to the actual culprits. Despite The Centre's resources, Jarod often stays a step or two ahead of his pursuers. While tracking down clues to his past and his parents, Jarod also targets criminals who have gone unpunished or undetected by the law.
During his adventures, Jarod also discovers the joys of the childhood he was denied while being raised in isolation — such as bubblegum, ice cream, a Slinky, and Silly Putty — that are often used in these traps.
This fandom is popular for crossovers, as a core tenet of the show is a character who can pretend to be anyone, anywhere, anytime, and do so with enough conviction (and presumably the background information) that people are fooled.
- Distasis #2 (gen)
- High Flight (gen)
- Inside a Broken Dream (gen)
- The Yule Tide (gen)
- Centrefold (slash)
- Playfellows (slash)
Fan Fiction Archives
- Missing Pieces
- The Pretender Archive and Image Gallery! (including adult fic)
- Pretender FanFiction (organized by author)
- Pretender Shippers (Jarod/Ms Parker stories)
- Athena's Fanfic Site
- Pretenders4Christ archive list Yahoo! Groups "This is a discussion list for Christian fans of the series "The Pretender" which now airs as reruns on TNT. Please join us as we'll discuss most anything related to the Pretender but also we will also be open to spiritual topics!!!" (Founded: Mar 3, 2001)
- Slash The Pretender archive list WWOMB "Jarod, kidnapped from his family at an early age, raised in a confined lad area in a powerful cooporation called The Center, can assume anyone's life, imitate anyjob description to the point of fooling the most experienced professional. Become whatever and whoever he wants. And he does it to protect the victims of the world. To give back as close to a normal life the children of those hurt by people more pwerful than themselves. Come discuss the ideas behind the episodes, the relationships between the persurers and the pursude. THis list allows slash fiction, so hook him up with one of the guys, or hook up a couple of the guys, How about Miss Parker and her lady stepmom. Cuddle him, snuggle him, beat him, whip him make him bleed....Hey he likes it. Of course you have to comfort his boo-boos when he hurts so...come play. All the stories will be archived unless you include a do not archive notation. Joining confirms you are over legal age."