Talk:The Ray Wars
Raine, are you okay with my turning your contribution into a quote? I wanted to set it off as clearly a personal recollection so no one accidentally edited it to match their own.
Wiki mods, I know the wiki isn't really the place for personal stories, usually, but I think a few reasonably short quotes like this one showing distinct perspectives, maybe within a more general view of each "side" of things, may be the best way to really get a full look at the whole Ray/Ray controversy, especially since there's so little left to really cite other than memory.
Apologies if that notion is totally out of line here -- just drop a note if the page needs to be reworked. --Arduinna 05:39, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
- No, you're good. We want oral history and memories about what fandom was like while we can still gather them, and short quotes are not a problem. What we don't want are long pages of completing personal stories on 'how I discovered slash', as something like that is unmanageable. (Though people could put that sort of thing on their user page if they chose to.) --rache 14:30, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
Should this page get the "Fandom Occurrences" category or the "EventProfile" template?--Aethel 01:31, 12 November 2008 (UTC)
Factoid I wasn't sure where to put: calling Ray Kowalski "Stan" is now taboo in many circles because it was used by Ray V fans as an insult.  Also Shayheyred's comment here would make a good quote. --æthel 02:43, 16 August 2010 (UTC)
So every dS panel at a con I've been to recently has mentioned that there is one Vecchio fan leaving anon comments on everyone's stories complaining about about they don't treat Vecchio right. 
Recent Deletions from Page
I am erasing the information about "Vecchio troll" because it only hurts someone I love. There should be no room for that and name calling in fandom. I'd like to see this entire entry deleted as well.
- There needs to be more discussion about this on this talk page. Simply erasing info because you disagree with wording is not okay. --MPH (talk) 19:57, 31 March 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Tortiecat - can you explain a bit more? I read the section and am not certain what the concerns are. Who is calling who names? And what "entire entry" are you referring to (the 2 deleted lines? The page?). Fanlore supports PPOV so feel free to add your thoughts about the matter. And if there are factual inaccuracies, note them here and we can help figure them out.MeeDee (talk) 19:58, 31 March 2016 (UTC)
To aid in the discussion this is the section that Tortiecat keeps deleting. Please make edit suggestions/recommendations here instead of the main page. In the meantime we will freezed the page to prevent edit wars.
"More recently than 2009, an individual sometimes known as the "RayV troll" or "ds anon" has appeared wherever fannish discussions of Due South occur, complaining about how the fandom doesn't respect Ray Vecchio. It is unknown whether they are attempting to reignite the Ray Wars or are its last holdout.
I don't see any identifying information about the ds anon. This seems to be a reporting of events, albeit a confusing one. After I freeze the page, I will unblock Tortiecat so she can comment here. MeeDee (talk) 21:05, 31 March 2016 (UTC)
- tumblr reblog by jackymedan, November 2015. archived. The post claims that the troll had been around since 2005ish, but this editor, who was in dS fandom circa 2007-2008, hadn't heard about them until the 2010s. One FFA anon posits that they entered the fandom around 2010. (Skeptical anon who replied is assumed to be the troll in question.)
- shayheyred. The trolls, they never die, posted to livejournal 13 March 2015.