|Creator:||Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris|
|Date(s):||June 28, 2006|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Superman Returns at Wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Superman Returns is a 2006 film that acted as a kind of sequel to the original Superman films starring Christopher Reeve. This film, however, starred Brandon Routh as Clark Kent/Superman. The film also starred Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane and Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.
Superman returns to Earth after a five-year absence. He finds that his love interest Lois Lane has moved on with her life and that his archenemy Lex Luthor is plotting a scheme that will destroy him and the world.
- Clark Kent (Superman)
- Lois Lane
- Lex Luthor
- Richard White - nephew of the Daily Planet editor-in-chief Perry White and fiancé to Lois Lane.
- Jason White - Lois and Superman's son, although it was initially unclear who was his real father due to his health ailments.
Although technically considered a sequel to the original Superman films starring Christopher Reeve as Superman/Clark, many fans considered it a separate universe all together since many thought it would be a start of a reboot series like the Batman Begins was for Batman. However, the studio ended up canceling the sequel having been disappointed with the box office return. Years later, the reboot Superman series fans were expecting happened with Man of Steel (2013) starring Henry Cavill as Superman.
Crossovers with the Nolanverse or Smallville are very popular. Clark Kent/Bruce Wayne being the popular crossover pairing with the Nolanverse. Smallville crossovers with Superman Returns often used the film as a Future Setting with a few changes. This was popular for Smallville's Chloe Sullivan character who was sometimes paired up with Richard White or Clark Kent, a common Chloe storyline in these fanworks were for her to be revealed as Lois Lane.
- Family Reunion by Mr. Beeto; AU Twist on Donner/Singer Movieverse: Tie the three films together into a cohesive whole, and provide a more credible and interesting reason for Superman to have returned to Krypton, and of course, more complications when he gets back.
- The Planes by Dandello; Lois and Clark crossover series.
- A Weekend in Lois Lane by Dandello; Richard invites Clark to the house on Riverside Drive for a weekend of fun and games. (Clark/Lois/Richard)
- Déjà Vu by htbthomas. Lois slowly remembers details about the time that was erased. When she remembers it all, how will she react? Sequel to Superman Returns, references to SII. COMPLETE. A post-Superman Returns fic which reconciles that film with the events of Superman II and Lois' memory loss. Clark/Lois
- Not Because I Know How to Yodel by Nefertiri's Handmaiden. Perry White didn't become the Editor in Chief of the Daily Planet because he knows how to yodel. A blantant wink at 'Lois and Clark.' Perry White's perspective on Clark Kent's identity, and the events of Superman Returns and afterwards. Features interludes with the other members of the Justice League, and their take on the events and revelations of the film.
Archives and Communities
- Superman (movies) & crossovers works at FFN
- Superman Returns works tagged at AO3
- The Big Apricot - Superman Movieverse fanfic boards and archive.
- Superman Returns at DC Comics Database
- Superman Returns at Superman Wiki
- Superman Returns at DC Movies Wiki