Someone You Might Have Been (J2 fanfic)
|Title:||Someone You Might Have Been|
|Length:||~104,000+ words - 11:03:52 hrs (podfic)|
|Genre:||slash, RPF, AU, spyfic|
|External Links:||Someone You Might Have Been main fic, ephemera, and codas (LiveJournal);|
Someone You Might Have Been podfic (Audiofic Archive);
Someone You Might Have Been ebook (Ebook Library)
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
- Author's summary: "In which Jared is a secret agent and Jensen is his handler/support tech."
- "Someone You Might Have Been is the fic that got me into RPF, so I am always happy to recommend it, that and Fleshflutter is absolutely brilliant!"
- "I don't often do this but I just have to shout from the rooftops how wonderful and amazing fleshflutters 'Spy Verse' is. (also know as Someone You Might Have Been). I started reading it this weekend and could stop, it had me gripped so completely........ it is amazing. It even had me so upset near the end I could barely read through the tears. It is without a doubt my favorite J2 AU ever, I will be reading it over and over again."
- "This is honestly the best piece of writing I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It made me laugh, rage, and sob my heart out - often all three of them at the same time. If there is one fic I could rec to all of you out there, it would be this one."
- "ajkfdlkjsaf Someone you might have been IS OVER. And fleshflutter broke me. If you haven't finished it yet... well, I have no idea why you're reading this instead."
- "this was the first rpf fic i ever read, but nostalgia is not the only reason why i will always be fond of it. fleshflutter is one of my all-time favorite authors from spn/j2 fandom, because they consistently wrote amazing AUs and epic longfics with great characterization, plot, and dialogue – AND fantastic porn. it’s like winning the goddamn lottery. the spy!verse has become something of a classic for me, and i remember staying up til an ungodly hour trying to read it all in one sitting." 
According to one reviewer:
- "The video is based on the awesome Spy-verse by fleshflutter. Well, if you read the story and liked it you just HAVE to go and watch the vid. Because, basically, it's THIS story, only it's video. You totally forget about the fact that this is all fictional..."
Another reader had this to say about the video:
- "If I had to pick a favorite thing about fandom -- and thank god nobody ever asks me to, because there's so much goodness, but if I had to -- it would have to be the way that fan works can complete transform the original media. Case in fucking awesome point: Someone You Might Have Been is a J2 AU by fleshflutter, in which Jared is a spy and Jensen is his handler. It's kind of J2 meets La Femme Nikita, which is a marriage I support. (And it's now legal in Iowa!). Only, then somebody goes and vids it. And by vids it, I mean vids it. (The vidder goes by "Liv Niggle." I know her not, but she is made of sunshine and unicorns, clearly.) The vid introduces media from non-SPN J2 works, as well as completely unrelated source and Queer as Folk for the porns! Seriously, I am so impressed. I love you, fandom. I am OVERFLOWING WITH IT."
Additional Fan Art
Other fans have been inspired to create artwork for the story.
drawing by crabs-within-bubbles, illustrating chapter 22
Some fan writers list the songs that inspired them or that they listened to while writing their fiction. This is fleshflutter's soundtrack for "Someone You Might Have Been."
- Oysterband – Someone you might have been
- Nothing will remain of what you laboured for.
- Let it all go, let it fall.
- The Bee Gees – Stayin' Alive
- I'm a dancin' man and I just can't lose.
- You know it's all right, it's okay, I'll live to see another day.
- Santa Esmeralda – Please don't let me be misunderstood
- Cause I'm just a soul whose intentions are good.
- Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.
- Papa Roach – Getting away with murder
- It isn't possible to never tell the truth,
- but the reality is I'm getting away with murder.
- VAST - Touched
- I looked into your eyes and saw a world that does not exist.
- Moby – Extreme ways
- I would stand in line for this, there's always room in life for this.
- Oh baby, oh baby, then it fell apart, it fell apart.
- Massive Attack – Hunter gets captured by the game
- My plans didn't work out like I thought,
- 'cause I had laid my trap for you but it seems that I got caught
- Imogen Heap – Glittering cloud
- Save me, oh save me, save me from myself,
- before I hurt somebody else again
- Puscifer – The undertaker
- Before I go, tell me, were you ever who you claimed yourself to be?
- Either way I must say goodbye. You're dead to me.
- Groove coverage - Poison
- I wanna hurt you just to hear you screaming my name.
- Don't wanna touch you but you're under my skin.
- PJ Harvey and Thom Yorke – This mess we're in
- Don't ever change now, baby, and thank you, I don't think we will meet again,
- And you must leave now, before the sunrise, above skyscrapers.
- Katie Melua – Nine million bicycles
- I'm warmed by the fire of your love everyday,
- So don't call me a liar, just believe everything that I say.
- Russian translation here, accessed November 11, 2011.
- Payaki's Translation, accessed November 12, 2011.
- comment of culper355 in the post of vamsuki in spnstoryfinders, dated March 12, 2011. accessed November 12, 2011
- Someone You Might Have Been by Fleshflutter by josieb1, dated Dec 21, 2009, accessed November 12, 2011; WebCite.
- Rec Post on Tumblr by demonicgermwarfare, dated March 7, 2011. accessed November 12, 2011
- marenzi, dated March 19, 2009. accessed November 12, 2011
- webcite for youtube.
- Vid Rec Post by secretlytodream, dated March 28, 2010, accessed November 12, 2011. Vid is here on Youtube.
- Rec by agentotter, dated April 27, 2009, accessed November 12, 2011; WebCite.
- J2 Manipulations - one of each, dated March 16, 2009, accessed November 12, 2011; WebCite.
- someone you might've been by crabs-within-bubbles on deviantart, dated Feb 23, 2009, accessed November 12, 2011; WebCite.