Percy de Rolo
|Name:||Percival Fredrickstein Von Musel Klossowski de Rolo III of Whitestone|
|Occupation:||Human Gunslinger, member of Vox Machina|
|Relationships:||Cassandra de Rolo - sister, Vex'ahlia - wife|
|Other:||Played by Taliesin Jaffe (IMDb)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Percy (full name: Percival Fredrickstein Von Musel Klossowski de Rolo III) is a fictional character played by Taliesin Jaffe on the popular D&D web series Critical Role. Percy is a member of Vox Machina and one of the main characters in the first campaign of Critical Role.
Percy was the third child of 7 children, born to a noble family who lived far to the north in the ancient castle of Whitestone. With so many siblings to share the burdens of lordship, Percy turned his attention to the sciences, engineering, and naturalism.
One day, a mysterious couple, named Lord and Lady Briarwood, came to court. During a feast held in their honour, the Briarwoods violently took control of the castle, killing or imprisoning everyone who would stand in their way.
Percy awoke chained in the dungeon, only to be freed by his younger sister. Together they fled, chased by the Briarwoods’ men. As they ran, Percy’s sister took several arrows to the chest and fell. Percy kept running, eventually jumping into a freezing river and floating unconscious to freedom. He did not remember waking up on a fishing boat. He barely remembered the next two years, as he slowly made his way as far south as possible.Then one night, Percy had a dream. A roaring cloud of smoke offered him vengeance against those who destroyed his family. When he awoke, Percy began to design his first gun.Percival's Backstory
Percy's backstory is pivotal to the first major story arc of the Vox Machina campaign (the Whitestone arc), which remains one of the most popular story arcs in Critical Role's history. Later in the first campaign, a relationship with Vex'ahlia, fellow member of Vox Machina and portrayed by Laura Bailey, develops. Both are popular themes in fanworks about Percy.
There has been some speculation when it comes to Percy's sexuality. Some fans are convinced he's straight (mostly due to his relationship with Vex), others argue that he's bisexual, if only because his player is bisexual himself.
By far, the most popular Percy ship is the canon het relationship with Vex. His most popular slash ship is with Vex'ahlia's brother Vax'ildan (though even that ship doesn't come close to Perc'ahlia's popularity).
As of September 2020, there are 2,438 fanworks that include Percy on Archive of Our Own, 1,303 of which also feature the Percy/Vex relationship (also known as Perc'ahlia).
- A Civilized Discussion by CurrieBelle - Percy/Vex - Percy and Trinket, and a very polite discussion about their beloved Vex'ahlia, circa episode 59.
- The Last Snowfall by Khirsah - Percy/Vex - It happened so slowly, he couldn’t even say where it all began.
- Amin Mela Lle by [dpavus]] - Percy/Vax - I just needed an excuse to write Vax getting turned on by Percy speaking elvish ok
- It Might Sting a Little by CurrieBelle - Everyone in Vox Machina must have pierced ears so they can use the magic whisper earrings. Ergo, an ear piercing fic that turned into a Percy character study, because of course it did. Set just before the stream, right when Vox Machina's about to get their keep, parade, and council seats.
- Safety by eponymous_rose - In the early days of their adventures, the members of Vox Machina get to know their gunslinger.
- See Me At My Worst by Lauren (notalwaysweak) - Polymachina - A zone of truth spell gone awry leads Percy to admit his most secret sexual fantasy: he wants the rest of Vox Machina. All of them. Vox Machina decide to take him up on his offer.
- What Are You? by sparxwrites - “What is this?” asks the smoke, quietly. Percy swallows, on his knees, hanging in the endless dark of the void. He knows he’s dreaming, knows none of this is real – but none of that changes the fact he’s alone, and it’s dark, and the smoke is so thick around him that he can barely breathe. “It’s- my gun,” he says. (In which Percy and Orthax have... a little chat, about the naming of things.)
- The Dark Prince by maziecrazycloud
- You know what I fucking love about Percy’s wedding vows?, Archived version by letmetellyouaboutmyfeels
- Percival's Backstory as narrated by Taliesin Jaffe in Critical Role, transcribed by crtranscripts on Tumblr (Accessed 11 Sept 2020).
- Percy didn't call Grog, Vax, or Kash hot for you all to make him straight tweet by Crithaus, accessed 20 Sept 2020.
- ultimately it comes down to feeling really suspect for me, to see folks determine the character of a bi man was straight just because he wasnt as explicate as others. that's not saying that tal's characters HAVE to be bi but come ON. tweet by Wally_Wests