Lie Low at Lupin's
|Trope · Genre|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In Harry Potter fanfic, Lie Low at Lupin's is shorthand for stories (generally Remus/Sirius slash) set in the summer between Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix, in which Sirius follows Dumbledore's instructions to "Lie low at Lupin's for a while".
“Sirius, I need you to set off at once. You are to alert Remus Lupin, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher —the old crowd. Lie low at Lupin's for a while, I will contact you there."
"But —" said Harry.
He wanted Sirius to stay. He did not want to say goodbye again so quickly.
"You'll see me very soon, Harry," said Sirius, turning to him. "I promise you. But I must do what I can, you understand, don't you?"
"Yeah," said Harry.. "Yeah... of course I do."
Sirius grasped his hand briefly, nodded to Dumbledore, transformed again into the black dog, and ran the length of the room to the door, whose handle he turned with a paw. Then he was gone.”- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
One R/S fan listed Lie Low at Lupin's as #2 on a list of Top Fifteen Remus/Sirius Clichés: Dumbledore's instructions to "lie low at Lupin's" are inevitably interpreted as "Go to Lupin's cottage in the woods, make up with him, and shag. Then shag some more. Then shag again for good measure, discuss what a miserable hand fate has dealt you, then come back to the Order of the Phoenix and save the world." 
Popular themes of these stories include:
- Hurt/comfort (generally Lupin providing comfort due to Sirius' angst at having been falsely accused and imprisoned in Azkaban for twelve years)
- Stories where Remus and Sirius were together at Hogwarts, and now have to re-learn each other after their long separation
- Stories where they weren't together, but wanted to be, and now have a second chance at a First Time
- [more goes here?]
- Five Ways Sirius Didn't Lie Low at Lupin's by copperbadge
- A Fearsome Business by Canis M. (at Sugar Quill)
- Thing by Cimorene and Wax Jism
- And Our Memories Defeat Us by xylodemon, written for winterwolfstarwank
- Ambient Light by pavlablack, written for the maraud_rs First fest at Livejournal
- The Hush of Waiting by musesfool
- It's Not the Years, Honey, It's the Mileage by Thistlerose
- Leave the Children Behind by montparnasse
Songs and Video
- era: lie low at lupin's tag at the Remus/Sirius Fic Finding community, accio_rs_fics
- R/S fics tagged era.hp.post-gof on delicious by sugar_sex
- Room for a Dog: A Remus/Sirius Fanfiction Story, a review by Kristi Lee Brobeck of Canis M.'s "A Fearsome Business"
- Lie Low at Lupin's reclist by wolfstarwarehouse
- Top Fifteen Remus/Sirius Clichés. Last accessed December 03, 2010.