|Name:||Irene Adler (married name, Irene Norton)|
|Relationships:||Godfrey Norton (husband), Sherlock Holmes (respected adversary)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Irene Adler is one of the most notable female characters in the original Sherlock Holmes canon.
Sherlock Holmes (Granada)
Sherlock Holmes (Granada) she is portrayed by Gayle Hunnicutt.
"A Scandal in Bohemia" was the first episode of the first series of Granada Holmes. The portrait of Irene is kept in Holmes' desk and appears in a few more episodes.
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
In the 2009 movie Sherlock Holmes she is portrayed by Rachel McAdams (also of Slings & Arrows.) In this film she has divorced her husband and is "Irene Adler again." She and Holmes have a more romantically tinged relationship.
In Sherlock the episode 'A Scandal in Belgravia' is the first and (as of now) only episode in which Irene Adler, portrayed by Laura Pulver, appeared. Irene, who is a Dominatrix (a woman who plays BDSM games with her clients), has incriminating pictures of her and a female member of the Royal family on her phone and provides a tough obstacle for Sherlock, who is sent by his brother to recover the picture. She claims to be gay, but admits that her clients are not limited to the female gender.
True to her set-up in Arthur Conan Doyle's Canon she plays with Sherlock and is the only woman to get to him.
Due to her portrayal as a dominatrix, her role is criticized by some fans as sexist.
Sherlock on Irene:
- Sherlock: Where's the woman?
- John: Which woman?
- Sherlock: The woman woman!
- (A Scandal in Belgravia, BBC DVD)
In Elementary, Irene was Sherlock's ex-lover who is thought to have been killed by a serial killer called "M." She is later found alive, apparently being held captive by Moriarty. It is revealed that "Irene" actually is Jamie Moriarty, who assumed the identity to seduce Sherlock and distract him from his investigations. Irene/Moriarty is portrayed by Natalie Dormer.
Sherlock Holmes (2013 TV Series)
- Whipped by This_is_The_Phantom_Lady -- Irene Adler/OFC and Irene Adler/Kate. Long and notable fic, but it does feature dark content and heavy BDSM.
- Sui Generis by Francesca_Wayland -- Irene Adler/Sherlock Holmes
- See: Jamie Moriarty for listing of example fanworks
- Entries tagged Irene Adler on the BBC Sherlock kink meme
- Works tagged Irene Adler at The Sherlock Holmes Kink Meme Archive (for all versions of Sherlock Holmes canon)
- Entries tagged Character: Irene Adler on furtherinterest, a community devoted to the female characters of BBC Sherlock
- Works tagged Irene Adler on the AO3
In other fannish media
- Sophie Devereaux dresses up as Irene Adler for a costume party in S5 of Leverage.
- The first patient in the first episode of House, M.D. is named Rebecca Adler. In S5, James Wilson tells a story about a patient named Irene Adler that Gregory House saved and then fell in love with, but the story is apparently not true.
- There is a Marvel Comics character called Destiny, whose real name is Irene Adler. She is the lover of Mystique and adoptive mother of Rogue.