|Creator:||Jack Webb and Robert A. Cinader|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Emergency! was a 1970s medical drama/action adventure on NBC. It was a spin-off from Adam-12 which itself was a spin-off from Dragnet. Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe portrayed the lead characters, Johnny Gage and Roy deSoto.
Emergency! was developed by Jack Webb and Robert A. Cinader about the newly developed paramedic program that had launched in Los Angeles, CA in the early 1970s. Johnny Gage and Roy deSoto are firefighter paramedics who are called out to various sites to administer pre-hospital medical attention and, sometimes, perform daring rescues - like pulling children out of post holes or repelling workmen off the sides of buildings. During the early seasons of the show, the rescues were taken directly from real-life fire department log books.
Some attention was also focused on the lives of the firefighters at the fire station where the guys took turns cooking meals and cleaning and playing practical jokes on each other.
The show is also known for spreading knowledge and information about the paramedic program and is said to have helped launch similar programs across the United States to avoid regular citizens attempting to perform treatments and procedures they had seen on the show. At least three separate cast members were real-life LACoFD personnel: Captain Dick Hammer, Engineer Mike Stoker, and Dispatcher Sam Lanier.
Archives and Communities
- Audrey's Emergency! Fan Fiction Archive (Fan fiction grouped by author and character, includes holiday stories and challenges.)
- Ao3 -- 317 works
- Emergency! Episode Guide (2009)
- The Best of KMG 365
- Brave and True
- Sins of the Father by Audrey Lynne (The Sentinel/Emergency! xover)
- High Flight
- N! (1981)
- Of Dreams and Schemes (1981-)
- Remote Control (1990-2004)
- Strong Enough (focus on female characters, 2004)
- [Q & A with Randolph Mantooth. route51.com. 1 February 2014. Retrieved 3 September 2014.]