|Date(s):||15 March 2009|
|External Links:||Camelot's Sweethearts (Livejournal)|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Camelot's Sweethearts is a Merlin/Arthur modern AU by mariana_oconnor (63,000 words). It was written for reel_merlin round 1. The prompt was America's Sweethearts. The story is linked on many recommendation lists and has been mentioned on newbie guides together with Drastically Redefining Protocol as a good starting point for Merlin AUs. A Merlin story with a similar premise is Fame and Fortune.
Summary: Arthur is a film star, Merlin is his personal assistant who might, possibly be head over heels in love with him. However, Arthur’s more interested in his ex, Morgana, and then the mysterious Sophia to notice… Oh, and Will is awesome.
Recs and Reviews
- "ABSOLUTELY AMAZING IN EVERY WAY. It's a plotty epic contemporary au full of pining and hurt-comfort and angst and massive amounts of detail and insanity that will just suck you in and then blow you away. I spent my whole evening on this, and I don't regret it one bit."
- "YES. FUCK YES. DAMN YES. FOREVER YES- this is the kind of fic that I love. Angst, misunderstanding, love, romcom-ish situations [...]. This is the AU of my dreams. Mostly. :)"
- "Another entry for reel_merlin, and one of my favorites. I've never seen the movie, so I can't say whether or not the author stayed true to it (though I'm fairly positive she did, she's an awesome writer), but I just loved the whole idea she had here. Everyone was wholly themselves while still being AU. Such a fun, hot read."
- Fandom Guide to Merlin on Livejournal, 17 February 2009. (Accessed 19 August 2010)
- CRASH AND BURN: Fanfiction Recs. BBC's Merlin (2008). (Accessed 23 October 2010)
- fayedoll. Fic Rec now in different flavors! (Accessed 23 October 2010)
- ladyflowdi. Merlin Recs + Extras, 29 March 2009. (23 October 2010)