Bite the Bullet
|Title:||Bite the Bullet|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Looking for Paradise? In need of Young Riders? In search of Young Guns, too? Well, when the Gunsmoke clears, we hope there will be a Bonanza of Virginians in the Big Valley. A new western zine dedicated to the new westerns as well as all of the old favorites. Submissions are now being accepted. Stories, poetry and art. No page limit on stories, although an extremely long story may have to wait until the 2nd issue, depending on response. SASE for availability and guidelines.
Bite the Bullet 1 was published in May 1992 and contains 142 pages.
- An Explosive Situation (Laredo) by Valerie DeVries. When the Reynolds gang comes to town and takes hostages, it's up to Texas Rangers to get them released. Even if it means blowing up the whole town.
- A Question Of Friendship (Young Guns) by Sabrina Smith. Pat Garrett faces Billy the Kid in Pete Maxwell's place. Which is stronger, his duty as sheriff, or his love for Billy?
- Twisted Trails (Young Riders) by Valerie DeVries. When the Army has to move wagons full of rifles and needs scouts, they call on Teaspoon who in turn volunteers his Pony Express riders.
- Firstborn (Bonanza) by Jean Thrower. Ben believed Adam to be dead and grieves as only a father can. Word came that he's alive but taken by Indians. What would it take to get him home?
- A Good Deed (or Nothing Ever Happens Here) (Alias Smith and Jones) by Paula Smus. A runaway wagon leads to an artist sketching Heyes and Curry. They have more of a challenge recovering that drawing than saving the child in the wagon.
Bite the Bullet 2 contains 114 pages and was published in May 1993.
- Goin' Fishin' (Paradise) by Elaine Overby. There's adventure on the river when John Taylor takes the young boys fishing.
- Beginning Of The End (Young Riders) by Valerie DeVries. The Civil War just ended and Kid returns to find many things changed. Friends have died, some have married. Can he handle all the changes after four years of war?
- A High -Flying Tall Tale (Alias Smith and Jones) by Paula Smus. When Heyes and Curry help round up stock running loose, they get more thanthey bargain for...six foot of feathers.
- Not Just One (Bonanza) by Jean Thrower. Ben is away and about to lose two of his sons: Little Joe to an accident, and Adam to guild for letting it happen.
- A Legacy Of Shame (Young Riders) by Valerie DeVries. When the Ben Smith gang comes to town, Kid has to make a difficult decision. Does he ride with his friends against them, or does he face his past alone?
- Steps To Change (Big Valley) by Cynthia Fee. The Barkleys become involved with their neighbors when they are accused of robbing a train.
- Vengeance (Young Riders) by Jill Collins. Ike accompanies Emma to the bank and become hostages in a robbery. Sam and Teaspoon have no choice but to let them leave town. Now they must find them.
Bite the Bullet 3 was published in 1996 and contains 150 pages.
- Kid Curry Bites The Bullet (Alias Smith and Jones) by Paula Smus. A town with too many restaurants needs something more in the way of entertainment. Smith and Jones provides it. (10 pages)
- The Dead Hole (Bonanza) by Susan Grote. Adam and Little Joe discover an old mine and find the cattle they lost. (9 pages)
- It's A Dog's Life (Laredo) by Valerie DeVries. The Rangers have a rescue mission only it doesn't turnout as easy as it should have. (8 pages)
- Homecoming (Lancer) by Deyna Greywolf. Johnny must search for his own answers after a train robbery leaves him and Scott to go for help. Reprinted in Compadres #20. (20 pages)
- Fork In The Road (Bonanza) by Monette Reinhard. Adam accompanies a prisoner, who is a friend, to await his arrest and trail in California. (12 pages)
- "Shades Of The Past" (40 pages) and "The Wedding Day" (38 pages) (Doctor Quinn) by Karen B. Valentine. Karen brings us two lovely stories in script style. In Shades of the Past, an ex-fiancée shows up wanting Mike and promising his life has changes. The Wedding Day brings us another version of Sculley and Mike's wedding.
- Destiny (Big Valley) (1 page)
- Also, poetry from Heidi M., Elaine Overby, and Melissa Mastoris based on Paradise, Young Guns II, and Dr. Quinn.