Tyrannus Basilton 'Baz' Grimm-Pitch
|Name:||Tyrannus Basilton Grimm-Pitch, Tyrannus Pitch, Baz|
|Occupation:||Mage, vampire, student|
|Title/Rank:||Heir of the Grimm-Pitch family|
|Location:||Watford School of Magicks, Grimm estate, Hampshire & London, England|
|Relationships:||Simon Snow (love interest, boyfriend), Natasha Grimm-Pitch (mother, deceased), Mr Pitch (father), Fiona Pitch (aunt), Mordelia (half-sister), Daphne Grimm (stepmother), Dev & Niall (school friends)|
|Fandom:||Carry On, Fangirl|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In the author's notes to the book, Rowell describes Carry On & its hero Simon:
If you've read my book Fangirl, you know that Simon Snow began as a fictional character in that novel.
A fictional-fictional character. Kind of a amalgam and descendant of a hundred other fictional Chosen Ones.
The commentary obviously also applies to other characters such as Baz.
The most obvious comparison is that with the Harry Potter verse. Baz can be seen as an avatar of Draco Malfoy, with whom he shares many characteristics - heir of an old magical family, tries to bring the downfall of the hero all through their childhoods - though there are some notable differences:
- Baz's hair is black while Draco's is white
- Baz has Egyptian origins through his mother, though his skin is pale, because:
- He is a vampire, albeit a reluctant one.
- In the Carry On canon, Baz identifies as queer (more specifically gay.)
- He is canonically "hopelessly in love" with Simon.
On AO3, as of May 5 2016 there were 542 works in his tag. According to the AO3 sidebar:
By April 13, 2019 there were 2807 works with the character tag.
Fanon & Common Tropes
- Baz being a vampire is a recurring central plot point to stories. Examples:
- Baz sketches by i-am-weiss  
- Nice save, Baz. Digital drawings/mini comic by deanneedsyou.
- I didn’t realize how much I needed Snowbaz in my life until I read Carry On. Comic by grickenfish.
- Once Upon a Time by followsrabbit (2.5k, not rated.)
- Five times they didn't (and one time they did) by redbeard (6k, Explicit.)
- This Is Mr. Pitch by standalone (100k, Explicit.)
- You'll Be Mine & I'll Be Yours by halotolerant. (5k, Explicit)
- Halfway Through the Wood by elizajane. (16k, Explicit)
- Carry On Aesthetics (2/4): Tyrannus Basilton Grimm-Pitch by carryonbunce
- Rainbow Rowell, Author's Note, Carry On (2015).
- "Everyone says I favour my mother in appearance - we're from the Egyptian branch of the Pitch family" Rainbow Rowell, Ch 32, Carry On (2015).
- The subject is first speculated about by Simon and his friends & denied by Baz, then finally confirmed and accepted by him by the end of the book.
- Ch 62: "'Are you gay?' [Simon] asks, looking over at me, still laughing. 'Yeah, I say. 'Completely.'"
Epilogue: "it would be too exhausting, living in a place where I have to pretend I'm not a vampire or hopelessly queer." Rainbow Rowell, Carry On (2015).
- "That Simon Snow is alive. And I'm hopelessly in love with him." Rainbow Rowell, Ch 32, Carry On (2015).
- Posted to Tumblr Nov 17, 2015, accessed May 4, 2016.
- Posted to Tumblr March 3, 2016, accessed May 4, 2016.
- Posted to YouTube Oct 10, 2015, accessed May 4, 2016.
- Posted to YouTube Oct 10, 2015, accessed May 20, 2016.
- Posted to Tumblr Apr 6, 2016, accessed May 4, 2016.