Midoriya Izuku/Todoroki Shouto
|Pairing:||Izuku Midoriya/Todoroki Shouto|
|Alternative name(s):||TodoDeku, TodoIzu, Todoroki/Midoriya, Shouto/Izuku, Shouto/Deku, TDDK|
|Fandom:||Boku no Hero Academia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Tododeku, or Midoriya Izuku/Todoroki Shouto, is a slash ship of Izuku Midoriya and Todoroki Shouto in the fandom Boku no Hero Academia.
Todoroki initially considered himself a rival of Midoriya during their matchup in the U.A. Sports Festival arc, as an extension between the rivalry of Endeavor, Todoroki's father, and All Might, Midoriya's mentor. Todoroki questions the nature of Midoriya's relationship with All Might and shares his past trauma, explaining how his mother scarred him with boiling water as he reminded her of his father. He empathizes the importance of differentiating himself from his father. Midoriya admires and respects him but stresses that he must fight with all he has. Their fight in the festival is a point of massive character development for Todoroki - Midoriya convinces him to fight with his Fire quirk and accept both sides of himself as his own power, rather than the burden of Endeavor's expectations.
After the fight, the two become friends.
Later during the Hero Killer arc Todoroki is the one who Midoriya reaches out to for help via a vague text during his battle with Stain. The two come together to save Tenya and and the other heroes, enduring traumatic mental visuals from the Hero Killer's quirk together.
Tododeku in one of the most popular ships in Boku no Hero Academia. According to fandometrics on Tumblr, in 2017 Tododeku was #27 on the most popular ships list. In 2018, Tododeku moved up to 8th place.. In 2019, Tododeku fell down to 21st place, and in 2020 returned to 27th place. As of August 2021, there are over 19000 works on AO3, and it is the third most tagged BNHA ship, after BakuDeku and KiriBaku. For a time, Tododeku was the second most tagged ship.
The initials "Todo" and "Deku" were popularized by western fandom, while in Japan the ship is better known as TodoIzu. The ship is also one of the most popular in Japan.
Many who support TodoDeku do not like the ship BakuDeku, and often support KiriBaku along with shipping TodoDeku.
Common Tropes & Fanon
- Todoroki is often depicted as a member of the Dekusquad post-Sports Festival arc.
- Touch-starved Todoroki is a common trope for this ship due to Todoroki's canon backstory.
- Sugar Daddy Todoroki is also common as Todoroki's canonically much more well-off than Midoriya.
Art for Yesterday Upon The Stair by eneriables, 2018
- count your blessings, not your flaws, Archived versionby PitViperofDoom
- Saltwater Room, Archived version by reapers
- Thanks for Saving Me, Archived version by Esselle
- #bakudeku, Archived version by rageprufrock -- Tododeku futurefic in which Todoroki discovers a bakudeku doujinshi and decides to troll everyone by fanning rumours that Midoriya and Bakugou are dating
- It's your power— isn't it!?! - a TodoMido fanfic collection on AO3
Fanart & Fancomics
- fanart for 'Thanks for Saving Me', Archived version by ainudraws
- some shouto and deku doodles, Archived version by frejaboisen
Communities & Resources
- tododeku-week, Archived version on Tumblr, active 2016-present. Linked with the event account on Twitter
- tododeku fic rec month on Twitter (and discord and tumblr), 2021-present