The Tournament of All Magicks
|Title:||The Tournament of All Magicks|
|Date(s):||31 August 2010|
|External Links:||The Tournament of All Magicks (AO3)|
The Tournament of All Magicks (LiveJournal)
The Tournament of All Magicks (fic trailer)
The Tournament of All Magicks (ePub Bud)
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Summary: Merlin is invited to compete in a tournament of magic. Sure, he'd like to become the champion of all Albion, but first he has to get past giant creatures, a seductive sorceress, and the crown prince of Camelot.
- Main article see The Tournament of All Magicks (Merlin vid)
Recs and Reviews
- "First you MUST watch the Trailer for this fic by mamoru. It’s simply fantastic. Then go grab a cup of tea and snuggle into this epic fic. A wonderful depiction of a Magical tournament with everything you could expect lots of gorgeous magic and Merlin being damn impressive. And to make things even more exciting, Arthur foils Merlin’s plans by deciding to join him in checking out the marvels of a magical tournament. Does that stop Merlin from wanting to participate? Not so much. Great depth, great OCs, wonderful Merlin/Arthur dynamic. A fantastic read."
"Merlin gets invited to a Secret Magic Tournament. Which, of course, everyone knows about. Desperately curious, he ends up sneaking away to attend. So, of course, Arthur invites himself along. Whee! This is such a big old bundle of fun featuring all of my favorite Merlin tropes -- Arthur Finds Out, magical dueling, miscommunication angst, and so much more -- all tied up in a light, funny, fabulous bow. There were times when I found myself laughing out loud at the boys, cheering for Merlin in the duels (all of which were both exciting and entertaining), and aww-ing as the boys finally, *finally* got their freaking acts together. And, as a bonus, you have Disapproving!Gaius at his finest. Solid writing, good characterizations, and a fun, fast-paced style make this a highly enjoyable read for Merlin fans."
- "This is by far, my favorite canon fic that includes spoilers all the way up to S2 and S3. [...] God, it's a dream come true to see [Merlin] lay bare his desires and wants, mainly sharing every part of himself with Arthur. [...] More than that, I LOVED how well Arthur knows Merlin, being able to catch his lies just by looking at his face. [...] I can't even begin to tell you how much I adored the entire magical tournament, it's gorgeously set up, and I loved every single match. [...] AND THIS IS WHAT I LOVE ABOUT MERLIN AND ARTHUR HERE. Merlin may have the magic, but he's utterly sad when it comes to strategy and technique, which is why ARTHUR IS ALWAYS NECESSARY, the other half of his coin <333333 [...] Morgause was so surprising and I did not expect you to weave in your interpretation of the Morgause/Cenred alliance. I love how you didn't make them 'evil', they're just on different sides, and the war is going to happen because their ideologies clash."
- "I'm a big old sucker for tournament fics anyway, but this is the first one I've seen where Merlin gets to be the badass one. And I love the way that Arthur's adjustment to Merlin's secret is helped along by his undying competitiveness. If he's going to have a secret wizard servant, by god he will be shown to be the best in the land."
- mamoru. Art for Big Bang, 31 August 2010. (Accessed 12 September 2010)
- marguerite_26. Merlin recs, 01 September 2010. (Accessed 12 September 2010)
- jane_elliot in epic_recs. The Tournament of All Magicks by Cori Lannam (hard R), 01 December 2010. (Accessed 14 December 2010)
- kirusai. Comment, 01 September 2010. (Accessed 12 September 2010)
- tavella. Comment, 04 September 2010. (Accessed 12 Semptember 2010)