|Synonyms:||Earth is a Death World|
|Date Started:||June 16, 2016|
|Related:||Humans Are Weird, Humans Are Space Orcs|
|See Also:||Stabby the Space Roomba, Space Australia tag at Tumblr|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Space Australia is a science fiction meme from Tumblr that posits the idea that Earth is one of the most dangerous planets in the known universe. The term was first used by arafaelkestra, in a thread titled Humans Are Weird, which contains additional "Space Australia" input from several people.
arcticfoxbear: What if all the other life bearing planets are these mild, Mediterranean climates with no seasons, no tectonic plates, and no intense weather?Excerpts from a "Humans Are Weird" Tumblr thread
What if several species (including humans) land on a world and the humans are all “SCORE! Earth like world! Let’s get exploring before we get out competed!”
arafaelkestra: To paraphrase one of my favorite bits of a ‘humans are awesome’ fiction megapost: “you don’t know you’re from a Death World until you leave it.” For a ton of reasons, I really like the idea of Earth being Space Australia.
the-grand-author: “we sent-”
“no yeah I heard you I just- what? You sent… HUMANS… to a place one hundred degrees below freezing?”
“and they didn’t… die?”
“Well the first few did”“PEOPLE DIED OF THE COLD AND YOUR SOLUTION WAS TO SEND MORE PEOPLE???!?!?!?”
In addition to humans being considered dangerous, they're often considered reckless and prone to bizarre experimentation.
...the Federation as a culture are a bunch of deranged hyper-neophiles, tooling around in ships packed full of beyond-cutting-edge tech they don’t really understand.
-- So to everyone else in the galaxy, all humans are basically Doc Brown.-- Reminds me of the thing I wrote a while back about Humans in high fantasy realms - they’re basically Team Fuck It Hold My Beer I Got This.
- Ain by Raven. Humanity, as a species, is confusing. An encounter on a exoplanet between a human and an alien whose culture says confusion is blessed. Written for Yuletide 2019.
- *earth intensifies* a tumblr compliation about how earthlings are batshit insane compiled and read by forzandopod (partly Star Trek, 2016)
- (Podfic) Earth is Space Australia, Live-recorded podfic of tumblr meta on the concept of Earth being the galaxy's Australia. Recorded at Europodfriends 2018.
- what if humans aren’t the only Hold My Beer species. We are one of two., Archived version by fir-trees-unite and beka-tiddalik
- something i’d considered humans are also bad for that other species might consider insane: “Close enough.”, Archived version by play-read-write
- id wreak mayhem for a really good scifi where sight was considered as exotic and numinous as telepathy by the protag species, Archived version by manyblinkinglights, curlicuecal, glimmerbulb, roachpatrol, gutterowl, kowabungadoodles, annlarimer, vassraptor, elodieunderglass, magicalhappyspider, and theredscreech
- did you know that humans are the only species on earth with the ability to throw things with any significant degree of accuracy and force? what if the concept of projectile weapons takes most species FOREVER to get the hang of, or even come up with in the first place?, Archived version by homeworldlapis and caffeinewitchcraft. A human goes onto a ship and throws some trash into the nearest reclaimer, shouts “kobe!” and all the other aliens on board absolutely LOSE THEIR MINDS.
Links & Resources
- The Deathworlders books, set in the 'Jenkinsverse' (which begins with the 'Kevin Jenkins Experience').
- The Jenkinsverse
- Salvage, or the tale of Adrian Saunders, an Aussie in space (within the Jenkinsverse)
- Space Australians
- What Are Even Humans
- arcticfoxbear's humans are weird tag
- theredscreech's humans are weird tag