Sherlock Is Garbage, And Here's Why
|Title:||Sherlock Is Garbage, And Here's Why|
|Date(s):||May 31, 2017|
|Medium:||digital video, YouTube|
|Length:||1 hour 50 minutes|
|Footage:||Various Sherlock Holmes adaptations, Jekyll, New Who, clips from interviews,|
|Topic:||Sherlock, Steven Moffat's run on New Who, The Johnlock Conspiracy|
|External Links:||on YouTube|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Sherlock Is Garbage, And Here's Why is a video essay by YouTube media critic hbomberguy that heavily criticizes Sherlock, especially its fourth season, how the show treats its fans, the showrunner Steven Moffat and to a lesser extent Mark Gatiss. It's part of a series that hbomberguy does titled "X Is Garbage, And Here's Why," but the particular popularity of the Sherlock entry has lead to a trend on YouTube of very long videos with the same title in the hopes of gaming the algorithm.
As of September 2020, the video had over 5.31 million views, 125K likes, 17K dislikes, and 22,151 comments on YouTube. The video was taken down for copyright violation within minutes of it being posted on May 31st, 2017 but it was restored by June 1st, 2017. Some segments of the video's Sherlock clips are still altered to avoid copyright claims.
- Stephen Moffat's writing and producing, particularly the terrible directing and editing in Jekyll and the problems with New Who while he was showrunner
- The differences between Sherlock and the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories and how Sherlock's writers seem to dislike telling mysteries
- The Johnlock Conspiracy, in which a large portion of fans were convinced that the fourth season of Sherlock would have a secret 4th episode that would fix everything about the show
- Sherlock's wasteful and at times bizarre production choices
- A deconstruction of a single scene in which hbomberguy just yells about a boomerang for five minutes.
- The treatment of women in the show, especially Irene Adler, and the queerbaiting and homophobia presented by Moriarty
- Also everything about Moriarty
- The awful way fans are portrayed in the show and the contempt it shows for the strongest parts of Sherlock's fandom
The video has 12 parts.
- Part One: The Story of Steven Moffat 3:05
- Part Two: Overarching Plot 7:10
- Part Three: Sherlock The All-Important Ubermensch 27:15
- Part Four: Moriarty 39:25
- Part Five: AESTHETICS or How to waste license payer money 47:05
- Part Six: John Watson 55:11
- Part Seven: Mary Watson 56:58
- Part Eight: Irene Adler 58:20
- Part Kill Me: THE SCENE 1:04:07
- Part Ten: Literally everything about season 4 1:09:01
- Part Eleven: CONTEMPT 1:34:33
- Part Twelve: CONCLUSION 1:40:48
Then there are the two recent 1:45ish
Sherlock takes the core concept of the storytelling of Sherlock Holmes and why it works, crumples it up, hides it in one of six busts of napoleon, and then uses them as clubs to kill baby seals.
It opens on Watson's experiences scarring him and the murders that set up that episode's killer. See, it opens on Watson because historically Watson is the point of view from which the audience experiences Holmes. Watson is the one we actually relate to. We must first understand Watson to understand Holmes. Remember that, because it's the last time this ever happens on Sherlock.
Then Watson meets Holmes. He comes with him on a case and they begin to bond... and... almost the entire episode is focused on actually... solving... the crime. Y'know, th-the fun mystery story?
Well. [sighs] Sort of.
About 30 minutes in, Watson is taken out of the story to meet Sherlock's brother Mycroft, played by Mark Gatiss -- one of the other two writers of the show from Moffat. They take time, attention, and focus away from the plot of the episode at hand just to let you know as early as possible that Sherlock has a brother who's around, and he does stuff! He keeps popping up just to sort of let you know he exists, and he's keeping tabs on what's going on. But apart from that, almost a full hour is dedicated to trying to solve the crime.
The first two episodes are probably the closest the show ever gets to being good, because you get a lot of long stretches where the characters try to use deductive reasoning to solve a mystery. It's still bullshit, for reasons we'll get into later, but it's the least bullshit we're gonna get, and that makes it worthy of a fucking prize.
The key to mystery stories, the white-hot burning core of the genre that makes it what it is, is being given information — just enough that you could maybe figure out what was happening — and then having a character show you something about the information you managed to miss, or put the pieces together in a way you wouldn't expect. But to make sure you can't possibly solve it before Sherlock does—because he's supposed to be the most amazing, special boy in the world—they can't risk giving you too much information.So they craft a story in which you're shown basically nothing, and then told: Bing! It's a legendary serial killer I just made up. Bing! Someone else told me the answer offscreen. Bing! It was a fucking boomerang!
Discussion and response
Have you watched "Sherlock Is Garbage, and Here's Why" on Youtube? This video completely changed my perspective on the show (and not in a good way), and I need to talk to someone about it. If you've seen it, what did you think about it?
I watched most of the "Sherlock is garbage, and here's why" video, and I had such mixed feelings. On one hand, I was like "yes, drag them for the mess of S4!"; but I was also like "screw you a bit for trashing my fav show", especially since he painted the conspirators in a naive way when they're very smart. It's a bit weird b/c I think the show deserves constructive criticism, but I feel uncomfortable reading it from casuals since they're probably missing so much that makes the show great. 😐
On the why Sherlock is garbage, I’ve only seen the part about s4 but ur right. He made fun of us for like being so dedicated and looking for more but then says that we’re so dedicated they don’t deserve us?? Idk he made good points but it could’ve been done without mocking us. we were constantly told “there’s more just be smart” so u can’t make fun of us for looking deeper when they always told us too. :/ also it’s dismissing how smart those fans are like,, those theories r so deep & smart?
Hey. It’s the “Sherlock is Garbage” anon again. I really really wanna know ur thoughts on the video, but I understand ur hesitation bc he does criticize us fans a couple times in the vid. However, it talks more about how Moftiss are actually shitty writers (they promise more interesting concepts/ideas in their cliffhangers but never deliver), and they treat us fans - the people who care about this show the most - like crap. He also touches on how cruel their queerbaiting is, etc.
I watched the 'Sherlock is garbage' video as well and I think he had good points, but I don't want to give up yet. Also idk how he researched and whether it was a coincidence but a lot of what he said was fandom meta stuff and I hated the way he belittled the fandom and acted like he was above it. I'm happy he acknowledged the queerbaiting, but at the same time he seemed to think j&s must be straight while clearly identifying moriarty as gay -.- as a lesbian and tjlcer I was kind of upset
Maybe I need to watch it again but I don’t recall him ridiculing TJLC or Johnlock shippers? The only time he seemed to mock the fandom was when we were convinced there was a secret fourth episode…and even then he seemed to acknowledge that it came from the fault of TPTB making such a weak series that the fans were so desperate for it to be fixed.
I also clearly remembering him saying that Mofftiss “queerbaited the fuck out of their fans”, so again it’s him trashing the creators, not the Johnlockers themselves.
i've mentioned it before on a reblog of some ask, but the "Sherlock is Garbage" video doesn't exactly bash us. he does call a couple theories dumb, but he also says that the reason they're dumb is because we put too much faith in Mofftiss, who were queerbaiting the fuck out of us. And he makes more good points in that video than he does things i don't agree with. it hasn't made me hate the show, because it brought me to too many good things, but it's made me aware of Moffat's fails w/ this stuff
About the ‘Sherlock is garbage’ video- I don’t agree with it but I’m kinda glad it exists - after watching the video I checked out some other videos on his channel and liked them - he argues against Antifeminsm and ridicules pick up artists - most of his views are views that I agree and it was great to discover his channel but I don’t agree with him on Sherlock -
some of his criticisms are objectively hard to disagree with but with some others its like he wanted the series to be fundamentally different and go in a different direction. He probably wanted a different show than the show Sherlock was trying to be (a show about a detective rather than a detective show)
I personally take the video as a sort of reminder that just because a person doesn’t agree with the views you hold and calls something you like garbage dosent mean that they are narrow minded assholes and have a condescending attitude about everything (after the video was posted here I did see some people trying to paint him as a pick up artist apologist just by looking at a title of his video which was unfortunate) I personally struggle with this sort of thing where I would fall into the trap of judging someone by their comments on one thing and this video is a nice reminder to have
And he didn’t make fun of the fandom (he joked about the lost special theorists but he waited for a fourth episode to be released before making the video which means that he took the theories at least a little bit seriously)
Don't watch the Sheelock is Garbage video. I don't know about you but for me any non-romantic reading of the show does not make sense. Without Johnlock, this show is a mess.. it is a love story and if you try to view it only as some superhero/ thriller show you won't like it, so it is only natural that guy didn't.
Good grief, some spent the time of 1 1/3 episodes of Sherlock to say how bad it is? Wouldn't just not watching it be easier?
A good listen. Thanks for the rec!
I didn't agree with all of it (e.g.: there's nothing inherently bad about adapting Holmes stories in a more connected way, especially since ACD!Moriarty's status as "Napoleon of crime" was even more ethereal and poorly-established than BBC!Sherlock's crimesolving genius), but it was fast-paced and funny. It was cool to see Doctor Who and Jekyll analysis woven in (fan of the first, never seen the second).
And since I bailed on the show after s3, it was nice to get a summary of s4 in a snarky, abbreviated package.
I also found the comments about Doctor Who very interesting—the idea that it's shifted from "the Doctor as the main character in adventures" to "the show is about the Doctor"—and the insights about good!Moffat vs. crappy!Moffat.
I found the last 20% or so sort of rambly/repetitive, but then again it was about S4 (which I did not see), so that could have been the material.
this is the best video ive ever seen and i used to be a dedicated johnlock hoe
mind you i was under 18 at that point and didnt have the same perspective, but this video breaks down exactly how i swallowed all the moffat’s nasty loads and why and why we should quit doing that
i cannot believe i defended this man on this website multiple times spending the priceless hours of my youth on trying to explain his misogyny but even back then i knew my argumentation was flawed but my delusion was too strong so go figure
[...] I absolutely didn’t agree with everything he talked about, of course not, but he made valid points and criticisms from someone who is watching the show as a SHOW.
From a non-Johnlocker, it’s a fair and honest review of the show which touches upon a lot of the problems many people had with it who ARE fans.
BUT I’m biased, so any reading of a show that’s non-Johnlock doesn’t make sense to me, LOL. BUT I appreciate his opinion from a casual fan who’s mindful of the fanbase and our feelings of how hollow S4 left us.
All in all, it’s worth a watch to see how “The Openminded Casuals” (for lack of a better term) saw the series as a whole.
It’s amazing how so many people copy this format and still don’t get what makes this video work
Yes it’s long, it’s an hour and fifty minutes but
- he has a passive tone throughout
- the segments on the video are perfectly divided and the editing is masterful
- the issues he presents in his video are obvious issues and not stuff that are clearly born out of an irrational hatred for everybody involved
- he actually fucking researches the shit he talks about so he can back up the fucking points he set out to make god fucking dammit it’s T H A T S I M P L E
It’s so great hbomberguy made the video “Sherlock is Garbage and here’s why” as a form of repayment to me specifically for having to exist through 2013
- “Sherlock is Garbage and Here’s Why” is Garbage, and Here’s Why: Critical Perspectives on a YouTuber’s reception of Sherlock
- random forums:   quora
- @hbomberguy's announcement tweeet, May 31st, 2017 at 7:21. According to this tweet it was taken down by 7:24PM.
- hbomberguy, June 01, 2017.
- MintStars, comment on YouTube in July 2018. Accessed 10 October 2018. It was missing Part Twelve: CONCLUSION
- inevitably-johnlocked, June 14th, 2017
- Asks sent to inevitably-johnlocked, June 16th, 2017.
- ask sent to inevitably-johnlocked. June 19th, 2017.
- kickingroses, June 19th, 2017.
- isitandwonder, post no longer available.
- neptune-centari, June 27th, 2017.
- Anonymous ask on inevitably-johnlocked, June 27th, 2017.
- submitted to inevitably-sherlocked by optimisticcandydream, November 9th, 2017.
- averybritishbumblebee, November 28th, 2017.
- inevitably-johnlocked, November 8th, 2017.
- delicatelystrangepolice, November 8th, 2017.
- witch-lock, November 9th, 2017.
- pj-gingernuts, November 9th, 2017.
- nobu-akuma, November 26th, 2017.
- tptigger, June 7th, 2017
- wolfpurplemoon, June 7th, 2017
- erinptah, June 7th, 2017
- silverr, June 10th, 2017
- wolfpurplemoon, June 10th, 2017
- silverr, June 10th, 2017
- dontmesswithnoheroin, January 8th, 2018
- inevitably-johnlocked, January 4th, 2019.
- ankle-beez, January 21st, 2019.
- devilsviolets, February 2nd, 2019.