Power Play (Professionals story)
|The Professionals Fanfiction|
|Date(s):||late 1980 or early 1981|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
In some indexes the story is listed as "Powerplay," Power Play," and even "Powergame."
It was soon followed by the first batch of Hatstands including: "Deathgame" (or "Death Games"), "The End of an Illusion", "Coldwater Morning", "Two Crazy Lovers" all by Stuartsky and Consequences by Tarot and AN Other.
Power Play or Consequences?
Some fans have assumed that Consequences was the first B/D story because it is the most well-known of the very earliest stories. Compare discussion at this thread at blueamaranthe's livejournal; comments from Felicity Parkinson quoted by metabolick that "Powerplay as the first Hatstand (B/D) story written and its sequel Deathgame. Both were by Stuartsky", comments here on thread by metabolick and msmoat's comment here that she had always been told that O. Yardley wrote the first Pros slash story.
- William Andrew Philip Bodie ignored his partner's angry shout and continued walking.
Reactions and Reviews
On September 11, 2009, a few Pros fans gathered together in blueamaranthe's livejournal to discuss Power Play and other early Pros fic. See The Dreck wRECk - Reviewing Prosdom's Earliest Stories.
- Metabolick's thoughts: "The author claims that this was the first Pros slash story ever. Certainly, it was one of the first. It’s interesting to see which tropes in the fandom were begun at this early stage: two seemingly straight guys get together in an act of violence and discover that they turn each other on sexually is one....This and its sequel were actually not as badly written as I was expecting. The author claims that this was the first Pros slash story ever. Certainly, it was one of the first. It’s interesting to see which tropes in the fandom were begun at this early stage: two seemingly straight guys get together in an act of violence and discover that they turn each other on sexually is one. Also, we have Doyle’s “fallen angel features” and his propensity for malapropisms (he says harry-carry instead of hara-kiri, which B corrects). This and its sequel were actually not as badly written as I was expecting."" 
- Krisserci5's thoughts: "As possibly one of the first stories in the fandom, I'm sure that any story was considered welcome. This story felt pre-show as they were still setting partner rules. The idea that Bodie is a butch fella trying to dominant his partner in all way seems so far-fetched to me to truly enjoy fic. Power sex and claming that if Doyle got off he liked it - and Doyle believing it was off character. Then again, for me the whole fic was off character. Yet I am glad I read it. I would have loved to be in the conversations that birthed these ideas." 
- Blueamaranthe's thoughts: "I thought this was an interesting premise but was left essentially unexplored. However, this may be the closest we can come to narrowing down what might be the very first circulated story in Prosdom, and for that alone I find it fascinating. the power dynamic between these two tough alpha males -- both used to being the sexual aggressor and dominating partner -- was of curiosity right from the first, just as you'd expect. Alas, I had no sense of the voice or personalities of the lads!" 
- "[I] wrote the first Professionals slash story, “Power Play.” -- from the first Nomination for the 2009 MediaWest*Con Fan Fund
- "In The Professionals fandom, [I] wrote what is believed to be the first-ever Bodie/Doyle slash, Power Play; copies of which circulated in late 1980/early 1981. -- from Sue aka The Android: Media Fandom