|Also Known As:||OJ, Trollando|
|Occupation:||actor, voice artist, Stand-up comedian, comedian|
|Works:||Sleepy Hollow, Necessary Roughness, Pushing Daisies, New Amsterdam, American Gods|
|Official Website(s):|| IMDB|
|On Fanlore:||Related pages|
Orlando Jones is a TV actor that has gained some extra fan attention due to his role as Captain Irving on Sleepy Hollow, and especially his many direct and positive interactions with fans. Examples include reblogging fan creations, making memes and setting the background of his blog to a photo manip of the main cast of the show.
- Orlando Jones on Twitter
- "The Tumblr Experiment" Orlando Jones' Tumblr account
- Orlando Jones Videos, YouTube account
Interactions with Fans
Via Twitter and Tumblr, Jones has interacted with fans on a regular basis, often asking questions about fandom or offering humorous, badly photoshopped graphics of himself. Some examples include:
- On Sept. 23, 2013, Jones asked his Twitter followers to send him links to Sleepy Hollow fanfic.
- On Oct. 23, 2013, Jones asked his followers about a Geekiary article titled Has Teen Wolf Social Media Lost its Edge?. He specifically asked fans:
-What’s the secret to success here (if there is such a thing)?And most importantly, how significant is the expectation that the writers/producers should make changes to the show specifically based on feedback from you guys?
-Who’s doing it right and who has dropped the ball?
-What should shows do during their hiatus/off season to stay relevant and top of mind with the fandom?
- The post received over a hundred unique responses and over 900 notes within a month.
- On Nov. 6, 2013, Jones made a blog post at the Huffington Post titled The Fandom Menace. It included a fake movie poster (typical of his posts) and positive commentary on fandom, including: "Far more thoughtful analysis of the Tumblr phenomenon can be found elsewhere, but I can only say that it has completely transformed how I interact with fans and I ain't ever going back.[...] I'm proud to count myself among them[.]" He also referred to himself as a troll.
- On Nov. 12, 2013, Jones live-blogged Sleepy Hollow, tweeting "Sally Hemmings - The original Olivia Pope". His follow-up post explained his stance and personal background, and included a self-nomination for Yourfavisproblematic.
- On Nov. 13, 2013, Asieybarbie declared Jones the Captain of the Ichabbie ship in a fanart that Jones reblogged with praise. (He has reblogged several of her works.)
- On Nov. 19, 2013, Jones live-tweeted the Supernatural episode, including a graphic of Ichabod Crane discovering Destiel, with the comment "Leftenant, I do not understand the meaning of Es-pi-en Fandom but it warms the Cockles of my heart." The ensuing wank was documented by Fandom_wank in the post The Little-Known Fifth Horseman of Wank. After discovering the Fandom Wank post and a thread at spn_gossip, Jones tweeted "This is glorious http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/1304731.html?style=mine …. And this http://tinyurl.com/mmmf8m5 BTW - What exactly is wank? #SPN #J2 #Destiel".
- In 2014, Jones was interviewed for Transformative Works and Cultures, vol. 17: Exploring fandom, social media, and producer/fan interactions: An interview with Sleepy Hollow's Orlando Jones
- “Orlando Jones needs to GTFO of our fandom”: Supernatural conventions and gate-keeping; WebCite (2015)
- This 'Sleepy Hollow' star really wants to read your fanfic at The Daily Dot, posted Sept. 30, 2013, accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- The Fandom Menace, posted Nov. 6, 2013, accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- 8:58 PM - 19 Nov 13, accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- 7:46 PM - 24 Nov 13, accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- The Little-Known Fifth Horseman of Wank at Fandom_wank. "Someone in one of the tweets suggested Cojones, which is AWESOME." Posted Nov. 25, 2013. Accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- I keep getting asked who I ship. Well..., posted Oct. 19, 2013, accessed Dec. 2, 2013.
- Orlando Jones Talks Being Anansi on ‘American Gods’, Fandom Life & Shipping, Lyra at Fangirlish.com. 23 April 2017.
- "I got a Gillovny ship problem to deal with. Like you read about, I’m Captain of that ship. And Gillian (Anderson) and David (Duchovny) are not gonna be together for whatever reason…so they think. I’m still trying to make that happen while I deal with Olicity and Westallen and very important other ships that are happening right now. Shoutout to Destiel."