|Fandom:||A Series of Unfortunate Events|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
After her parents die in a fire, Count Olaf becomes Violet's guardian. He abuses her and her siblings and then tries to get their fortune by marrying Violet. His plan fails because Violet, who is right-handed, signs the document with her left hand, and Klaus makes an argument that this invalidates the marriage, which is accepted by the judge. After his original plan fails, Olaf follows the Baudelaires to their new guardians and continues to try and steal their fortune, unsuccessfully.
In the series, Count Olaf is played as having a bit of a creepy sexual interest in Violet. After their marriage ceremony, he pretends to want to kiss her. In the books, he makes a reference to their wedding night.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Aged Up: It is common for Violet to be aged up in fanworks so she is no longer considered a minor
- Olaf Lives: Olaf does not die at the end of the series
- Canon Divergence AU: Some fanworks explore what might have happened if Olaf's plan to marry Violet had succeeded
- Non-con/Dub-con: Since Olaf and Violet's relationship is abusive in canon, it's often abusive in fanworks as well
- Motherless by courtneybgood