|Country of Origin:||Sweden|
The official Minecraft wiki
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In Minecraft, the player navigates a randomly-generated world collecting materials and blocks that they use to create structures, usually starting with a shelter to protect them from the monsters that spawn at night. The player can also use a safe Creative Mode to build massive, sprawling superstructures limited only by their creativity, anything from a palace to a functioning computer.
Later updates have added enormous variety to the game. Players can now breed animals, brew potions and enchant items with helpful stat bonuses. They can also travel to alternate dimensions called The Nether and The End, to fight different monsters and collect different resources.
Minecraft is so open-ended that it can be played almost indefinitely. Let's Players such as Achievement Hunter have made dozens or hundreds of unique videos by designing their own games and contests within the game. For some speedrunners killing the Enderdragon, which causes the game to display a credit roll, is considered "finishing" Minecraft.
Minecraft is a popular game for YouTube let's players and Twitch streamers to focus on. As a result, several let's players and streamers have formed their own RPF fandoms around them. The fandom is called MCYT, which stands for Minecraft YouTube. It includes popular Minecraft YouTubers and streamers such as Dream, TommyInnit, and GeorgeNotFound, among over dozens more players. As of May 2021, the most popular ship for the MCYT RPF fandom is Dream/GeorgeNotFound (DreamNotFound), claiming the largest amount of Minecraft ship fics on AO3.
Minecraft is easy to modify and several mods have been made, some of the most popular being Bukkit, WorldEdit and TooManyItems.
- PixelMod adds Pokemon features to Minecraft.
- A very popular mod, OptiFine, is described as a Minecraft optimization mod that includes features like zoom, dynamic lighting, and more.
- Mo' Creatures, which adds more mobs (mostly real-world animals). This is where the official Minecraft got the idea of horses in the game.
- Minecraft Skin
- Infinite Cat Fountain
- Functional cellphone
- Maps for Studio Ghibli movies My Neighbor Totoro and Spirit of the Wind
- Arcade claw game
- Legend of Zelda maps and sometimes playable games
- Build the Earth, a massive fan collaboration that aims to recreate the entire Earth in Minecraft 1:1.
A large amount of fanfiction has been written about Minecraft from humor to horror.
- Minecraft fics on FanFiction.net
- Minecraft fanworks on AO3
- Herobrine, a Minecraft creepypasta.
- Minecraft or King AUs are a significant subsection of Achievement Hunter fanfiction, based on their Minecraft Let's Plays.
A substantial subset of Minecraft fanfiction features real people (RPF), instead of in-game characters (like Steve/Alex and other mobs) or popular fan characters (Herobrine).
- Minecraft LPs by Yogscast.
- Minecraft LPs by Achievement Hunter.
- The Minecraft Life by Brogaming on GameKids.
- Minecraft - Lovely World by Stampylonghead.
Several fans have made music based off Minecraft.
- I can Swing my Sword by Tobuscus.
- Diggy Diggy Hole by PatientZero.
- Revenge, a parody of Usher's "DJ Got us Fallin' in Love."
Brentalfloss created the song that captures the extreme range of possibilities in Minecraft's creative toolset: Brentalfloss' Minecraft Song first talks about the endless creative potential of the game - and then showcases over 15 types of giant penis that fans have made in Minecraft.