Maglor in History
|Name:||Maglor in History|
|Associated Community:||Henneth Annûn Story Archive, Silmfics|
|URL:||Maglor in History (original stories); Archived challenge at HASA|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Maglor in History challenge was created by Finch in ~2003, for stories about the Silmarillion character Maglor through human history. It's also known as Maglor-in-History and occasionally Maglor throughout History, Maglor through History or Maglor in Time. The original challenge might have been associated with the Henneth Annûn Story Archive, the Silmfics list and/or Finch's archive, Romancing the Jewels. The original wording was:
What happened to Maglor after we left him singing on the beach?
Assuming he lived, write a story in which Maglor appears later in time, some place in our history. He can witness a major historical event or perhaps meet or see a major historical figure.
Thirteen stories were written for the original challenge, which were listed at Romancing the Jewels. They spanned the timeframe from the Trojan War to the mid-20th century. They were generally very well received; Espresso Addict described the challenge in June 2004 as extraordinarily productive. Many of the original set were recommended well outside the Silmarillion fandom, especially perhaps:
- Captain Tinkerbell by Lipstick—Maglor meets Tolkien in the trenches. Archive of Our Own link here.
- Lasciate Ogne Speranza? by Finch—Maglor meets Dante
- War Dust by Noldoris -- crossover with the Iliad
The challenge was archived at the HASA Oliphaunt Pen for expired challenges in February 2004. Many stories have been written subsequently for the trope. It was later revived for the Back to Middle-earth Month 2012.
Stories Written for the Original Challenge
In chronological order:
- War Dust, by Noldoris (aka Ëarmírë, applegnat). The bard at the Trojan War, sings of Achilles, Patroclus, and the memories of a brother.
- The Shadow of an Image, by Finch. A discussion about Plato's Atlantis and its image in Middle-earth.
- Bringing Gifts, by Deborah. A Silmarillion-based Christmas story.
- Enlightenment, by Tinni. Maglor has a profound conversation with a founder of religion.
- The Deer's Cry, by Maia. Maglor meets the 16-year old captive who will become the patron saint of Ireland.
- Lasciate Ogne Speranza?, by Finch. A meeting between a condottiere and a poet in early 14th century Italy.
- The Burning, by Aria7. Tudor England. Maglor witnesses someone burning at the stake, discusses God, re-marriages, half-siblings and Kings.
- A Study in Human Weakness, by Sethos. On the road in Siberia, Maglor gets annoyed by an obnoxious and infamous character from twentieth-century history.
- Captain Tinkerbell, by Lipstick. Maglor serves in WW I, and gets to meet his creator. Archive of Our Own link here.
- Chance's Strange Arithmetics, by Ithilwen. In the trenches of a French battlefield, two young British officers and a figure from the dim past have a fateful encounter.
- Peace, by Losseniaiel. Maglor's reflections on the peace treaties of 1919/1920.
- Promised Land, by Le Chat Noir. It's 1923. Maglor embarks to emigrate to America.
- The Price of Peace, by Klose. How the life of one Mohandas Gandhi is interwined with that of Maglor son of Feanor.
- HASA: Maglor in History (accessed 1 September 2012)
- Romancing the Jewels: Some AU and/or uncanonical stories: MAGLOR-IN-HISTORY stories (accessed 1 September 2012
- Espresso Recommendations: The Silmarillion: Maglor (accessed 1 September 2012)